Systems Engineer 2
Recruitment Type: Open to internal employees and external applicants.
The Metropolitan Council, as the planning agency for the seven county Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area, is responsible for conducting planning activities addressing the water supply needs of the metropolitan area.
The Information Services department has about 60 staff and provides technology services to all operating units of the Metropolitan Council. Council infrastructure includes approximately 200 servers, in a RAC environment, VOIP, document management system integrated with printers and copiers, optical Ethernet/frame relay/DSL network, Citrix Presentation Server for remote access, wireless for specific applications, Microsoft Exchange email, and LANDesk management suite.
The Systems Support Coordinator administers IBM pseries hardware and AIX software including installation, monitoring, tuning, technology level management, and problem resolution. Other duties involve close working relationships with Database Administrators to assist with database storage planning, database software installation, performance monitoring and troubleshooting.
Note: May require travel between primary work site to other sites. May require travel to various locations on short notice to resolve computer system problems.
- Installs new operating system software and layered products, revisions or updates including pre-installation configuration, testing and debugging to ensure system integrity.
- Provides systems performance reporting on a regular basis along with ensuring all software is at current version levels, and maintaining a log of changes for tracking.
- Monitors and tunes operating systems and physical resources, particularly in a database environment, maintaining optimum response time and system utilization.
- Identifies and resolves system-level problems as they occur in the operating system or outside vendor products.
- Installs and maintains database management systems and related tools. Utilizes tools to perform monitoring and tuning of the systems and database resource; provides problem determination and resolution recommendations.
- Sets-up, maintains and implements user logins and privileges assuring proper security procedures are in place to protect the integrity of the system, data and database objects.
- Provides documented and tested procedures and policies that assure the integrity of systems and databases startup, shutdown, backup and recovery.
- Provides support to other areas of IS and customers as necessary for problem definition, resolution and ensures the effective use of the systems being supported.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends new hardware and software products related to the Council's needs. Provides documentation to support the recommendation including options, benefits of implementation, time required, necessary hardware/software and cost estimate.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in computer sciences or a closely related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of progressive systems administration and performance monitoring experience in an IBM/AIX environment.
- TCP/IP, DNS, NFS and NTP protocols,
- SCSI and Fiber channel systems .
- Data storage systems
- Oracle and Sybase database management systems
- NAS data storage system
Additional years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree on a year by year basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of database and system management tools.
- Knowledge of network concepts in order to work with network staff to establish network connections in the database environment.
- Solid problem solving skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to implement corrective actions.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Union/Grade: Non-Represented Grade 9
FLSA Status: Exempt
Selection Process: The selection process consists of a review of you education and experience and how it relates to the duties of this position. This review is based on your answers to the supplemental questions. Please be sure to be complete in your answers and do not mark "see resume" or "see work history". Failure to honestly, clearly and completely answer the supplemental questions could adversely affect the assessment of your application.
Contingent Offers: Offers are conditioned upon a review and verification of education and employment,as well as passing a pre-employment drug-screen. Some positions also require a pre-employment or pre-transfer physical.
Criminal Background Checks: Offers are also conditioned upon passing a criminal background check. Metropolitan Council employees who are applying for positions which are Safety Sensitive, supervisory/managerial; are located in Finance, Information Services (IS) , Human Resources; or have access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers, transit fare cards will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Please note: Making a false statement or withholding information (misrepresentation) may cause an applicant to be barred from consideration for the position.
The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources at 612-349-7558.