Intern- Route Planning
Recruitment Type: Open to all active registered part-time or full-time students at an accredited educational institution.
Metro Transit, the largest provider of transit service in the seven-county metropolitan area of Minneapolis-St. Paul and one of the country's largest transit systems, has an opening for a Service Development Intern. Metro Transit operates bus and light rail service essential to the region's mobility and provides resources for carpooling and bike commuting. In 2008, Metro Transit provided nearly 82 million rides on 118 bus routes utilizing a fleet of 900 buses and 27 light rail trains.
One of Metro Transit's biggest initiatives is the “Go Greener!” project. We are one of the leaders in the transit industry in the reduction of petro-fuel consumption via multiple alternative fuel technologies including hybrid electric propulsion.
Metro Transit Service Development has a student internship available to assist with transportation and transit planning activities including fieldwork, GIS work and data entry and analysis. Perform bus ridership checks and passenger sampling; GIS data entry and analysis. Prepare PowerPoint presentations and spreadsheets. Perform other transportation and transit analysis as requested. Hours are flexible – part-time during academic year (hours may vary and can be adjusted to meet intern and organizational needs).
- Perform data collection, analysis, mapping and transit planning
- Performs bus ridership checks and passenger sampling
- Performs GIS data entry and analysis
- Prepares PowerPoint presentations and spreadsheets
- Performs other transportation and transit analysis as directed
- Must be a current student participating in an accredited academic program (coursework in urban studies, planning, geography/GIS, statistics, mathematics or other related field)
- Interest and knowledge inTwin Cities geography, street network and other transit system
- Proficiency skills with MS Office software (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), GIS
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Specific skills in the area of map design, spatial data editing and spatial analysis techniques
- Successful candidate will demonstrate detail-oriented focus, ability to complete tasks independently, and communicate needs and results effectively.
To be considered, candidates must:
- complete the application and answer the supplemental questions,
- attach a resume and cover letter, and
- be enrolled in an accredited educational institution.
Work is performed in a standard office setting. Some travel may be required in the field with exposure to the elements.
- Work involves extended periods of time at a computer terminal
- Fieldwork is required performing ridership checks and passenger sampling
Criminal Background Checks: Offers are also conditioned upon passing a criminal background check. Metropolitan Council employees who are applying for positions which are Safety Sensitive, supervisory/managerial; are located in Finance, Information Services (IS), Human Resources; or have access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers, transit fare cards will be required to pass a criminal background check.
Please note: Making a false statement or withholding information (misrepresentation) may cause an applicant to be barred from consideration for the position.
The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify Human Resources at 612-349-7558.