For a full job posting and to apply go to www.minneapolisparks.org/jobs.org
This position is responsible for performing system administration, in physical and virtual networking environments, server software and hardware management, and operational support. This work requires a flexible work schedule to accommodate scheduled and unscheduled maintenance and urgent issues. Furthermore this position will monitor server performance and capacity, forecast system demands, recommend and perform upgrades, expansion and reconfiguration of systems, troubleshoot problems and take appropriate corrective action individually or in a team setting.
Performs under the general supervision of the Director, Information and Technology Services and is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
- Support organizational IT initiatives while delivering excellent customer service to ITS users throughout the organization.
- Promptly communicate with ITS Director and/or designee regarding any significant IT issues or matters of concern.
- Cooperatively work with Network & Operations Coordinator to effectively maintain and support all datacenter networking and server equipment.
- Successfully design, integrate, and document new and existing Windows networks.
- Maintain and strategically troubleshoot networking systems including VMware, Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Databases, Security, and VOIP phone infrastructure.
- Diligently monitor storage space and drive quotas for Windows Enterprise Servers and allocate free space as needed.
- Lead effort to research, review and recommend hardware for new projects or recommend servers to be virtualized in line with industry best practices, lead and/or assist with the implementation process.
- Develop and maintain VMware environment including patch management of virtual hosts and virtual machines, upgrades, high availability, and SAN & LUN provisioning.
- Lead effort to maintain, monitor, and implement servers in a physical and virtual environment.
- Provide comprehensive support and effectively maintain Active Directory and Exchange environment including security, group policies, scripting, user accounts, mailboxes, distribution lists, database integrity, system upgrades, report and monitoring.
- Diligently monitor and maintain SQL databases and SQL attached applications.
- Efficiently setup and configure scheduled maintenance jobs on all databases.
- Fully maintain and support server VOIP telephone system and PBX/switch programming.
- Develop and maintain server backup and retention system to include critical production servers and user data.
- Perform complete server and network shutdowns and startups when required.
- Develop and implement backup schedules and storage policies of all critical systems, email, and user generated data in line with industry best practices.
- Use expertise to effectively install, configure, and maintain backup/retention hardware and software.
- Efficiently monitor and automate data archival process and perform routine data recover requests.
- Develop and improve the remote assistance process including software deployment, software patching, and remote control.
- Support and maintain enterprise antivirus, spam, and web content filtering software in line with industry best practices.
- Provide comprehensive support for ITS staff by efficiently troubleshooting escalated work tickets, developing support tools and documentation, and establishing software solutions.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Training and Experience (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Information Technology or equivalent, specialized training.
- Increasingly responsible professional work experience with Windows Server 2003, 2008 R2, and with Exchange 2007: at least two (2) years.
- Increasingly responsible professional work experience with designing / implementing Windows Active Directory networking environments: at least two (2) years.
Licensing Requirements (position requirements at entry) Valid driver’s license.Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer designation (preferred).
Physical Requirements The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
The physical ability to walk, stand, stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, reach, pull, push, finger, feel, grasp, lift, talk, see, hear and perform repetitive motions.
The ability to safely operate a motor vehicle as incumbents may be subject to local travel. Operating office equipment requiring continuous or repetitive hand/arm movements. The ability to remain in a sitting or standing position for extended periods of time.
The incumbent may be required to traverse on rough, uneven terrain, as well as wet and slippery surfaces and to ascend and descend ladders to access work areas. The work may occasionally involve the ability to perform lifting of computer equipment (up to 50 lbs.)
The incumbent will be required to work a flexible schedule to accommodate after-hours maintenance, upgrades, system outages and urgent issues.
Knowledge of (position requirements at entry)
- Industry best practices and technology for working in VMware virtual environments.
- Current technology used with Windows Server 2008 R2, and Exchange 2007.
- Industry best practices for working with antivirus management, spam, and web content filtering software.
- Industry best practices and technology for overall system administration. Skills and Ability to: (position requirements at entry)
- Successfully apply updates or Service Packs for Windows Operating Systems, manufacturer Rompaqs (System Bios updates), Firmware/Driver updates or Hot Fix Patches to address critical security issues.
- Provide excellent customer service and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills; ability to balance independent and team work.
- Effectively solve both practical and technical problems and make logical decisions.
- Understand and effectively communicate complex technical issues to other staff.
- Provide both oral and written communication that is easily understood and direct in its content and demonstrate good listening skills.
- Set appropriate priorities and handle multiple demands or projects while maintaining organization and efficiency; meet critical deadlines as required.
- Successfully work independently and be self-motivated to accomplish both routine tasks and emergency or special projects as required.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities; adapt to changing conditions and situations.
- Collaboratively work under direction of ITS Director and/or designee on development and implementation of organizational initiatives and perform routine tasks.
- Read, analyze and interpret professional journals, technical procedures and government and MPRB regulations/policies/procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality in work-related matters.
To apply online, go to www.minneapolisparks.org/jobs and click on Job Opportunities.
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer.