DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain MFI food safety programs for production contracts and in house farms including low path AI (Avian Influenza), high path AI, FDA Egg safety program, and other avian health related requirements.
- Responsible for directing the laboratory supervisor and the overall direction of the farm laboratory and evaluate flock testing results for improved performance
- Responsible for directing the overall health programs as agreed upon by the VP of production and the farm managers.
- Monitor avian disease problems—diagnose, provide resource assistance and direction to solve mortality and production problems
- Develop and monitor pullet and layer vaccination programs for birds destined for MGW layer farms.
- Interact with nutritionists, farm managers, contract managers and contract supervisors, and production managers to answer questions to improve health and production.
- Maintain technical skills to keep current with health and technical changes in the field, and the industry.
- Interact with state veterinary health officials, human health officials, universities and industry personnel to provide veterinary direction and represent MFI interests.
- Monitor bird physiological status and report to appropriate management and technical people the status of nutrition, management (molting), ventilation or other observations.
- Support and participate in the Michael Foods welfare programs by monitoring records, house conditions, and birds for appropriate United Egg Producer standards.
- Interact with hatcheries and breeder company technical people to maintain chick quality and livability.
- Interact with sales, marketing, quality control, and procurement to sustain necessary egg supplies and technical support to maintain egg sales and supply.
- Provides a safe work environment for employees and enforces company policies in a fair and consistent manner.
- Involvement in Organizational Teams and Committees.
- Complete and supervise special projects and other duties as assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Doctor of Veterinary medicine degree (DVM or VMD) from an accredited school of Veterinary Medicine.
- 3 - 5 years of production experience, or a Masters in Avian Medicine, or diplomat of the American College of Poultry Veterinarians, and/or avian laboratory training.
- Class II APHIS (Animal Poultry Health Inspection Service) Accreditation
- Have or be able to obtain
• American Veterinary Medicine Association membership, membership in American Association of Avian Pathologists, member of the Association of Egg Production Veterinarians, and participation in the USAHA.
- Excellent Time Management and Computer Skills (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Communication and interpersonal relation skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisors, and the general public to impact health and production improvement. Convey information and technical data in a useful clear manner .
- To travel to different locations with own transportation.
- To recognize problem situations and take appropriate steps to resolve.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work and may not include all of the duties required for this position.
Michael Foods Egg Products
Attn: David Meierdierks
105 N. Main Street
P.O. Box 573
Wakefield, NE 68784
Please click Apply now to email resume