This job is no longer available
Director of Underwriting Center
Initially this senior level position is responsible for the design, development and implementation of an Underwriting Center to underwrite and approve consumer, micro and small business loans. The incumbent will be the project manager for a cross functional team to develop an integrated strategy and process for the design, delivery, and decision making of credit to micro and small business customers. After an implementation phase the incumbent will continue on as the manager of the Underwriting Center with a goal of increasing the size and types of loans supported by the UC as well as, assuming portfolio management accountabilities for loans originated through the UC.
HOW WILL I BE CHALLENGED?”
Design and Development - Phase I
· Complete broad needs assessment
· Define project charter and scope for approval by Senior Leadership
· Establish UC Project Committee to provide cross functional input and to integrate parallel initiatives for employee groups. Establish a communication protocol to include key decision-makers in the planning process. Parallel initiatives include;
o The Director of Personal Banking leading initiatives to deliver standard credit products to micro business customers.
o The Manager of Credit Analysis leading initiatives to streamline the credit analysis processes for Business Banking customers.
o The Director of Business Banking realigning portfolio assignments, staffing levels, incentive plans etc.
· Evaluate use of scoring tools, regulatory and compliance requirements, use of human judgment, and industry best practices. Recommend best method to be used for scoring and decisioning of consumer, micro and small business loans.
· Assess the risk, return and competiveness of the current credit product offering for micro and small business loans. Evaluate documentation requirements, support processes and staffing needs for UC, as well as, QA and Loan Ops. Recommend best set of standard credit products.
Implementation - Phase II
· Develop communication tools and/or training to outline accountabilities by job (Banker, BBA, etc).
· Define UC service level standards.
· Integrate current CLU into new UC to optimize efficiency.
· Develop a plan to maximize the use of SBA for the benefit of customers and the bank.
· Develop a protocol that defines how large deposit/low borrowing customers are managed in the system.
· Hire and train staff for UC.
· New UC to run a pilot program with a few select locations. Refine processes as needed. Rollout use of UC to all locations for micro and small business loans.
· Ensure that the UC meets all regulatory and compliance criteria.
· Ensure that UC is staffed to; meet service level standards, maintain necessary dual controls, ensure approval expertise and manage to an efficient cost standard.
· Expand the use of UC, as appropriate, to larger and more complex loans.
· Manage the annual review and renewal process for loans originated through the UC.
· Meet asset quality standards in terms of risk profile, loss rates and credit administration.
“HOW CAN I BE CONSIDERED?”
· College degree in finance, accounting or business related field is required.
· 10 years of banking experience with at least five years in commercial lending.
· Extensive knowledge in all areas of micro, small business and commercial lending.
· Proven ability to lead complex projects meeting deliverables and timelines.
· Excellent delegation and communication abilities to lead and manage teams through complex change situations.
· Ability to partner with business leaders to design and implement bank products using product management practices to consider risk, pricing, delivery, compliance, etc.
· Ability to communicate effectively across all organizational levels and business lines.
· Strong interpersonal communication, coaching, influencing and negotiating skills.
· Exceptional cross-team collaboration.
· Experience with differing business models for the underwriting and decisioning loans.
· Ability to understand and perform analytics necessary to evaluate risk/reward in specific transactions and identify appropriate risk mitigations.
· Experience with a variety of loan types, loan review, regulatory requirements, legal documentation and credit processes.