This job is no longer available
Now Hiring – General Manager, Full Time
We are currently accepting applications for a permanent General Manager. This process of reviewing applications will begin immediately.
Winona, MN is one of the most beautiful places in the country, nestled between the wooded limestone river bluffs that rise 500 feet and the stunning mighty Mississippi River. Our small island city of 28,000 residents is rich with natural beauty, cultural opportunities, an engaged co-op membership of over 1,000 households, and local producers of all kinds. It is a regional arts and higher education center with traditions such as The Great River Shakespeare Festival, Boats and Bluegrass, Frozen River Film Festival and The Minnesota Beethoven Festival. Winona is about two hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul and one hour from Rochester, MN. Bluff Country Co-op's store is 3,500 square feet staffed by 26 employees who help to generate about $2,000,000 in annual sales. We use a "policy governance" system of leadership. General Manager duties and relationship with the governing board are detailed in our policy governance document (available on our website). The General Manager will lead the co-op so that it achieves the vision determined by our Board of Directors, as follows:
Bluff Country Co-op supports sustainable, organic, local agriculture.
- We engage in collaborative relationships throughout our community.
- We educate people about food from farm to table and how our food choices affect our health, our community and the world.
- We model and promote a vibrant cooperative economic presence in our community.
- We support the principles of Fair Trade with our suppliers, employees, members and customers.
- We provide efficient, friendly, informed service and support the well-being of our shoppers.
- We will continue to increase the number of member-owners and sales in order to ensure the economic well-being of our organization.
Below are specific duties of the General Manager:
- Deal with staff and volunteers in a humane, fair and forthright manner.
- Maintain financial conditions that do not incur fiscal jeopardy or compromise Board goals and priorities.
- Provide information to the Board that is timely, complete and accurate (via monthly monitoring reports).
- Protect and maintain assets.
- Develop and operate with a financial plan that includes adequate detail and disclosed assumptions.
- Maintain compensation and benefits which reflect the integrity of all work done at the Co-op, taking into account market conditions, regional comparisons and internal needs.
- Adhere to policies authorized by the Board.
- Purchase goods and services for the Co-op based on a good value per dollar spent, without giving the appearance of or incurring real conflict of interest.
- Provide exceptional value and service to our members and customers.
- demonstrated managerial experience in a retail food store
- proven leadership skills
- an understanding and commitment to co-operative principles
- proven communication skills (written and oral)
- demonstrated computer literacy
- ability to communicate with membership and community
- operating, capital, and cash budgeting experience
- demonstrated ability to interpret financial statements to others
- knowledge of natural foods industry
- knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office suite and Google suite
- understanding of the local and sustainable food movement
- experience working with a Board of Directors
- experience with policy governance
Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Please send your (1) a cover letter addressing the qualifications above, (2) a resume, and (3) contact information for professional references to: email@example.com, or mail it to GM Search, c/o Bluff Country Co-op, 121 W 2nd Street, Winona, MN, 55987.