Office Manager for the Science Education Resource Center (SERC)
The Science Education Resource Center (SERC) works to improve education through projects that support educators. Although our work has a particular emphasis on undergraduate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education, we work with educators across a broad range of disciplines and at all educational levels.
The SERC Office Manager will work with the Business Office to account for project work effort and funds, and to ensure that subcontracts or work plans are in place for projects. In addition, this position will provide support to the Director of SERC in her role as Executive Director of the National Association of Geoscience Teachers, and assists in managing aspects of individual projects. The office works as a collaborating team, thus the Office Manager plays an important role in a wide variety of projects involving individuals from Carleton and elsewhere. The SERC Office Manager reports to the Director of SERC.
The SERC Office Manager works closely with SERC staff and other collaborators to manage and coordinate activities. Specific responsibilities include:
Project Funds Accounting:
- Allocate SERC staff time to appropriate project budgets; review college reports to make sure charges are in the appropriate accounts and meet NSF requirements.
- Create reports that show expenses by NSF budget categories.
- Manage subcontract and independent contract development, billing and reporting,
- Oversee work-effort reporting and other required project reporting.
- Account NAGT income and expenditures for review by the Vice President and Treasurer and Executive Committee.
- Manage interactions with bookkeeper, including review of books and preparation of tax returns.
- Manage interactions with other vendors supplying services to NAGT, including publishing of journal, membership and fulfillment.
- Manage collection of funds for page charges, advertising, and workshop fees.
- Assist in creating proposal budgets and budget justifications.
- Project responsibilities are assigned in accordance with the individual’s strengths but could include development of website content, and coordination with collaborators.
- B.S. or B.A. degree.
- Understanding of effective office and business management practices.
- Computer literacy
- Effective communication skills (both written and oral).
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Bookkeeping experience.
- Experience with Excel and QuickBooks
If interested, apply online at http://jobs.carleton.edu. Please include a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for three references with your online application. Carleton College is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.