This job is no longer available
Sioux Falls Public Schools are widely recognized for accomplishments in student achievement and innovative educational strategies. We serve a diverse population of 22,000 students and we embrace the opportunity for all children to learn about the world's cultures from curriculum and through the shared experiences of their classmates.
The District includes 24 elementary schools, 5 middle schools and 5 high schools, including Joe an Alternative School, New Technology High School, and the Career and Technical Education Academy. Sioux Falls Public Schools offer a challenging and relevant curriculum with a highly-qualified and experienced staff. More than 69% of our 1,625 teachers hold a Master's degree or have attained even higher levels of certification.
- Prepares two major concerts per band each year, participates in two marching band competitions/parades/festivals and the region contests.
- Prepares students for participation in homecoming and Booster Club activities.
- Supervises and maintains the building band music library and contributes to the maintenance of the district library.
- Organizes and shares in the conducting responsibilities of the pep band’s performances at 10 athletic events per year.
- Prepares the marching band for performances at all home football games.
- Prepares students for auditions, rehearsals and performances of All State Band and All State Jazz Band.
- Rehearses band sectionals, combined bands, and group lessons.
- Organizes the marching band spat camp and marching season including the use and monitoring of percussion, wind and flag clinicians.
- Maintains a current inventory of band instruments including the name/address/phone/parents of user.
- Coordinates the performances of jazz band and other instrumental ensembles.
- Maintains a current band uniform inventory including the name/address/phone/parents of the user.
- Biannually works with the theater, orchestra and vocal directors on the preparation and presentation of a music theater production.
- Collects and processes data for awards program.
- Serves on the Festival of Bands USA Board of Directors.
- Meets with the Fine Arts Coordinator on curriculum, calendar, travel, equipment, maintenance, schedules, music library and district budget needs.
- Works with the other members of the department to coordinate all activities of the band department.
- Advises and monitors all Band Booster activities.
- Organizes fund raising activities on rotation, according to Board Policy, for an out of state trip.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Teachers new to Sioux Falls will earn between 32,000 and 37,000, plus an additional $6,500 for extra duty pay.