This job is no longer available
Carleton College welcomes applications for the position of Maintenance Supervisor. The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for overseeing all maintenance activities for all trades as assigned for campus building and assets. This position ensures that building services are maintained daily to support academic, student life, and administrative needs and programs by supporting the service request process, anticipating campus needs, and proactively supporting the campus events calendar.
This is a full-time, 12 month, exempt staff position that is eligible for the college’s benefits package.
Essential Job Responsibilities
• Provides daily supervision and support to maintenance trades staff, including:
*Prioritizes and assigns work as required.
*Gives direction to maintenance trades staff on job scope and approves course of action as needed.
*Routinely reviews work on site to ensure work was completed properly.
*Regularly inspects buildings and mechanical and electrical systems to ensure systems are operating properly.
• Hires trades staff, performs annual performance reviews, approves time cards, and leave requests.
• Develops and maintains a highly skilled, motivated, and effective work team. Conducts regular staff meetings to maintain open communication channels throughout the department.
• Implements and oversees a comprehensive facility maintenance program based on industry best practices that emphasizes planned and scheduled work and preventive maintenance activities while delivering excellent customer service to building occupants.
• Monitors and improves key maintenance metrics such as maintenance costs, PM compliance, emergency response, and customer service response.
• Uses the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to track work orders, prioritize and assign work, maintain history of building maintenance activities, analyze and resolve recurring problems, and identify opportunities to maintain facility assets more efficiently.
• Works with maintenance staff, store room operations, and CMMS data to provide necessary parts, inventory, tools, and equipment to ensure cost effective delivery of service.
• Ensures compliance with regulatory required maintenance activities and practices. Maintains and enforces compliance with safety programs and safe operating procedures. Coordinates and provides training to staff as required. Maintains records and documents as needed.
• Assists the Facilities Department to identify deferred maintenance conditions and make capital investment recommendations.
• Initiates, coordinates, schedules, and monitors the work of outside contractors and vendors.
• Participates in new construction and capital improvement projects to make sure campus construction standards are being met. Allow maintenance staff the opportunity to review design and provide comment, and provide training opportunities to ensure a smooth transition to operations at project completion.
• Journeyman’s status or equivalent training in one of the major mechanical or electrical trades.
• Five years in maintaining facilities in a multi-building environment.
• Five years of supervision.
• Ability to work as a team with others in the facilities department by communicating maintenance activities and schedules, informing of staff needs and changes, supporting goals and objectives of the other units within facilities, and being a resource others value.
• Ability to develop a positive work environment for the team he/she is responsible to supervise.
• Ability to work and communicate effectively at all levels within the College.
• Ability to work with a computerized maintenance management system, including reporting and data gathering.
• Prefer experience supervising employees in a union environment.
• Experience in a higher education setting is a plus.
Applications can be received at http://jobs.carleton.edu. Please include a resume, cover letter, and the contact information for three references with your application material. Carleton College is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity.