This job is no longer available
Career Services Advisor - 33013.1107
Category: Career Services
Division: The Art Institutes
Minimum Education: Required Bachelor's Degree
Job Code: 33013
Location: Art Institutes International - Minneapolis Minneapolis, MN 55402
Open Date: 11/13/2012
Travel Required: 0 - 20%
Conveniently located in downtown Minneapolis, The Art Institutes International Minnesota is the college for creative minds. The Art Institutes International Minnesota offers a variety of degree programs including Advertising, Audio Production, Baking & Pastry, Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, Design Management, Digital Film & Video Production, Fashion Design, Fashion & Retail Management, Graphic Design, Hospitality Management, Interior Design, Interior Planning with AutoCAD, Media Arts & Animation, Photography, The Art of Cooking, Visual Effects & Motion Graphics, and Web Design & Interactive Media.
The Mission of The Art Institutes International Minnesota is to provide post-secondary creative and applied arts education in a caring, inspiring environment where students who actively participate can maximize their creativity, enhance professional development, and acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to pursue a career in their field of study.
Aspiring creative professionals learn fundamental business concepts and gain the applied arts knowledge necessary for that important first job in the field. The Career Services Department offers individualized job search assistance for qualified graduates and financial aid is available to those who qualify.
Meet the employment and salary goals of graduates assigned. Develop employment opportunities for graduates through various and well established techniques. Maintain detailed employment information and file maintenance on graduates. Incumbent must assure that the EDMC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and an environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements
- Schedules, conducts, and documents an exit interview with each pending graduate assigned. Maintains a partnership between graduate and the Career Services Center in order to successful assist graduate in finding employment within six months after graduation. Serves as advocate for students/graduates in the job search process, including salary negotiation. Develop, track, report and document graduate employment program, graduate files of employment, and success stories.
- Plans and conducts marketing calls and direct mail marketing follow-up with possible employers. Educates employers on curriculum and competitive compensation. Plans and conducts employer visits and on-campus recruiting. Actively and routinely seeks employer feedback and researches industry trends. Shares this information when appropriate within the school to aid in the development/enhancement of curriculum and successful outcomes for graduates.
- Works closely with the Professional Development Instructors and Director of Career Services to contribute to course content and coach graduates and students on career search strategies, personal marketing, interview skills, self-promotion methods and materials.
- Develops partnership with Student Employment Advisor to maximize field-related opportunities for students as well as with Alumni Coordinator to maximize opportunities for graduates and industry networking
- Other duties as assigned.
Director of Career Services
Department Academic directors, student services staff, faculty, all potential employers of alumni/graduates
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, commercial art, or related field. Equivalent experience could be considered as substitute for education requirements.
- Two or more years experience in placement/search firm, career counseling or industry-related position, and at least one year experience in a marketing or field-related environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with both faculty and student population.
- Superior organizational and problem resolution skills.
- Strong basic computer software (MS Office) skills.
- Ability to interact effectively as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to listen to customers (e.g. students, staff, etc.) and to understand and respond positively to their requests.
- Ability to work without close supervision and to set one's own priorities and work schedule.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines.
- Ability to conduct business with attention to ethical considerations, employment law and school/accreditation guidelines.
Work Environment & Notice Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.