Chief Financial Development Officer (YMCA Minneapolis Association Office)
We are very excited to announce that the YMCA of the Greater Twin Cities has an amazing opportunity for a Chief Development Officer to join our team.
The Chief Development Officer serves as a member of the President/CEO’s senior management team and is responsible for providing strategic leadership in financial development and advancement strategy in support of the overall mission and strategic direction of the Association. The incumbent ensures that the Association is successful in securing annual and future contributed resources to support the achievement of its mission and business plans through development and achievement of strategic philanthropic goals. The incumbent leads and oversees the development and implementation of policies, plans, and programs in the areas of endowment and planned giving, annual campaign giving, institutional giving, government relations, special fundraising events, financial development software development, implementation, and management, General Board and Community Board development, capital fund raising, donor management, and community relations including outreach and mission communications.
The Chief Development Officer champions the training and development of Association staff and volunteers at all levels to communicate and advance the Association’s charitable mission with the community and prospective and current donors effectively. The incumbent is responsible for articulating financial development and advancement needs to the senior management team, volunteers, business and community leaders, and to the Board of Directors and for developing and achieving strategies and plans to meet them. The incumbent is responsible for positioning the YMCA as a “mission of choice” for the investment of donations within the communities it serves.
- Designs and implements a plan for philanthropic marketing in partnership with the CEO, CXO and marketing function.
- Participates in strategic planning for the Association. Provides leadership and consulting support to executives and management on matters of financial development, donor relations, stewardship, community, institution, board development and relations, reinforcing mission driven work, setting goals, developing policy, and implementing strategic objectives. Establishes and implements Advancement and Financial Development efforts that effectively communicate and support the Association mission and strategic vision.
- Provides overall leadership and day to day management of the Financial Development function by effectively leading and managing the areas of endowment and planned giving, annual campaign giving, institutional giving (government grants, United Way, foundations, etc.), government relations, signature special fundraising events, financial development software development, implementation, and management, General and Community Board development, capital fund raising, donor management, and community relations including outreach, mission communications, and public relations.
- Works directly with assigned Boards and committees of the Board (i.e. General Board, Financial Resources committee, Community Boards, etc) to build volunteer relationships, develop policies, oversee policy implementation, and meet the related needs of the Board.
- Oversees the development, planning, and implementation of effective short and long range comprehensive philanthropic development programs and plans to achieve the strategic goals and objectives of the Association.
- Develops processes and is actively involved in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major gift prospects. Oversees the development and maintenance of a resource database on top community leaders and potential donors.
- Oversees the design and implementation of an effective strategy to secure the maximum level of United Way contract funding for the Association.
- Oversees the preparation and coordination of proposals for grants from government sources and private foundations to secure additional funding for the Association.
- Oversees the development and implementation of effective training in fund raising and mission communication. Educates, motivates and provides constructive feedback to Association employees, staff, and volunteers related to effective best practice advancement and development skills.
- Oversees the development, implementation, and management of financial development management systems to ensure accuracy, legal and institutional compliance, and to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of financial development and the Association. Assures proper stewardship of all gifts through development and enforcement of tight administrative procedures. Remains current and up-to-date with current financial development technology and software support.
- Develops and maintains a strong volunteer base to achieve the mission, strategic objectives and goals of the Association. Assists the President/CEO in developing an actively engaged fundraising volunteer Board of Directors.
- Develops and implements strong donor communications and cultivation plans. Effectively oversees the management of donor relationships /stewardship in an effort to create long lasting relationships between the donor and the YMCA.
- Represents the Association as a member of the kindred group of YMCA leaders with the YMCA of the USA.
- Effectively hires, retains, and manages the Financial Development department staff required to achieve strategic goals and objectives. Establishes working priorities and prepares and manages associated budgets.
Qualifications - Required
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Non Profit Management, Business, Development, or equivalent, Master’s Degree Preferred.
- Minimum ten (10) years progressively responsible and successful executive leadership and management experience in all areas of nonprofit financial development management with a $100 million plus organization. Twin Cities area financial development executive management experience preferred.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification or equivalent
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering a comprehensive philanthropy program including annual giving, foundation and corporate grants, capital development, and planned giving.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with business leaders, community and government officials, volunteers, Board of Directors, and senior management team members.
- Current knowledge and understanding of financial development technology and software support and demonstrated ability to select, implement, and manage effective financial development technology.
- Proven experience developing effective teams that deliver outstanding results.
- Mission driven, high energy, creative problem solver.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship skills with the ability to work effectively at all levels including the highest levels of business and industry.
- Excellent communication skills: written, oral, and presentation.
- Experience working effectively within a matrix, mission orientated, and diverse business environment.
- Travel locally to various locations to attend meetings and special events.
- Travel nationally for meetings and special events.
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
To take advantage of this exciting opportunity, please apply online by 12/12/2012 for first consideration.