This job is no longer available
This position requires strong analytical and problem solving skills, excellent customer service skills, and the ability to make decisions and exercise sound underwriting judgment.
The Individual Medical Underwriter is expected to evaluate the degree of medical/financial risk involved in providing health insurance to individuals. This is accomplished through the evaluation of the occupational hazards and medical histories of individual applicants. Underwriting decisions directly affect the ability to achieve operating income, membership, and revenue objectives. The Underwriter needs to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of medical diagnoses, prognoses and treatment patterns as well as medical terminology. Knowledge of product offerings and applicable state and federal laws is required. The underwriter will need to interact with others and with potential members applying for coverage. This person must also be able to maintain turnaround times within the defined standard for underwriting while meeting or exceeding quality standards.
The Individual Medical Underwriter will use the Lead Underwriter and the Sr. Underwriting team as mentors to consult in applying the Individual UW Guidelines, rate increases, product offerings, etc., as needed.
1. Bachelor’s Degree preferred (may be substituted with underwriting experience). Health related or equivalent a plus (nursing, physical or occupational therapy, pharmacology, clinical lab assistant, etc)
2. 2 years of Individual health, life underwriting, or small group medical underwriting required.
3. Minimum of two years of previous medical underwriting experience is required.
4. Possess a strong knowledge of current medical conditions, their treatments and costs. Underwriter will have a strong knowledge and understanding of Health Care Reform rules and regulations and be able to make decisions using policies, procedures, underwriting guidelines, and experience.
5. Knowledge and comfort level with Excel and Word is a plus
None required; RN or LPN a plus.
Professional Work Environment. Ability to move freely within an office environment and operate keyboard, phone and other office equipment as required for position, plus any additional requirements indicated below.
Decision making and analytical skills
Knowledge of health care industry/products/benefits is required
Strong working knowledge of State Laws and Regulations to ensure compliance in a highly regulated market
Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and phone skills are necessary, as the Underwriter will often communicate with prospective members about sensitive issues surrounding the member’s health.
Ability to work in a fast paced, high volume production environment
Ability to maintain high quality underwriting standards and decisions
Ability to apply set guidelines and rate calculations across diverse applicant circumstances
Top Talent Solutions offers immediate placements for temporary, temp-to-hire and direct hire positions in all industries – from light industrial to administrative, and everything in between. But, we go a step further to offer you the personal touch that’s missing from so many other employment firms. Locally owned and operated, with multiple locations throughout Minneapolis and St. Paul, Top Talent Solutions works with nearly 1000 of the top companies in the region – from small businesses to national corporations. Our vast network allows us to build the strategic partnerships that, ultimately, you will benefit from.