Director of Education
Directs the SMSC Education Programs. Supervises staff in its delivery of services to Tribal families and individuals. Actively promotes awareness of the services of the SMSC Education department. Ensures that proper recordkeeping is maintained.
Responsible for preparing and managing the department budget and overseeing the appropriate use of all department assets.
- Meets monthly with the SMSC Education Committee and sets agenda.
- Administer the SMSC Education Programs. Develop and implement educational programs for Tribal members and their families.
- Participate in the interdisciplinary team on matters of Education.
- Direct the activities of the SMSC Education staff and provide for their ongoing professional development. Interviews, selects, hires, and promotes employees, including training, development, performance management, and supervisory actions as needed.
- Oversee the administrative requirements of the SMSC Education department, including track and report on designated metrics, maintain professional licenses and ongoing professional education requirements (CEUs).
- Prepare and manage the department budget within set allocation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in education.
- Ten or more years of experience working as a teacher, administrator or related role in the Education field, to include three years supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to administer education programs.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the Dakota people, their culture, history and contemporary status.
- Related work experience working with native students, communities and issues.
- Demonstrated communication skills, computer skills, tutoring skills, and grant writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to: promote a positive, caring climate for learning; deal sensitively and fairly with persons from diverse cultural backgrounds; and communicate effectively with students and staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience using a student information system and/or other type of database
- Experience with local, state and federal laws and related reporting
Master’s in Education