Heart Failure Care Coordinator
Allina Health is a not-for-profit system of hospitals, clinics and other health care services with more than 23,500 employees, 5,000 physicians and 2,500 volunteers dedicated to meeting the lifelong health care needs of patients and communities throughout Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Allina is a vibrant, growing organization with opportunities to suit your professional skills and a diverse work environment to match your specific interests. We believe employees are our greatest asset and are dedicated to helping you develop and maximize your professional skills.
United Hospital, located in downtown St. Paul, Minn., is the largest hospital in the Twin Cities east metro area, providing a full range of health care services to 200,000 inpatients and outpatients each year. With 3,400 employees, more than 1,000 physicians and 546 licensed beds, United Hospital has earned a reputation for excellence in patient care and state-of-the-art facilities, including innovative programs such as the John Nasseff Heart Hospital and John Nasseff Neuroscience Institute.
United Hospital is proud to be recognized as an ANCC Magnet Hospital.
An established, award-winning Electronic Medical Record is utilized.
Provides care management to patients identified through referral to specialty care.
- Will be responsible for program development and implementation
- Gathers all relevant data and obtains information by communicating with the patient/patient's family, the healthcare provider, and other team members of the healthcare delivery team and patient's community support network including external healthcare providers/agencies. All information is evaluated objectively.
- Utilize assessment by other care management professionals in primary care and inpatient areas as patient needs those services
- Works with the patient/family/healthcare provider to develop a treatment plan which enhances patient outcomes. Initiates and implements plan modifications as necessary through monitoring and re-evaluation to accommodate changes
- Supports planning across the continuum of specialty care services and in collaboration with other care management professionals in primary care and inpatient areas as patient needs those services. Supports planning with community resources and external healthcare agencies to provide broadest available integrated network of support as needs indicate
- Maintains high level oversight of the specialty plan of care in conjunction with the overall integrated plan and assures goals are met and/or addressed
- Works with patient/family/healtcare providers/community supports to coordinate needed services
- Addresses complex communication and planning issues as patient receives services across the specialty care continuum (in particular for patients with multiple consultants and services).
- Leads and/or supports transition/discharge planning for patients moving between levels of care
- Transition patient back to primary care provider/care manager when specialty services are no longer needed
- Provide education and information for patient related diagnosis, treatment, and quality of life
- Follows patient over time, across sites of care as long as specialty care is needed to measure effectiveness of the plan. Adapts plan to meet changing needs. Communicates with patient/family and healthcare providers about changes in plan
- Manages projects and participates in committee as appropriate
- Supervises and delegates to care management support staff tasks that contribute to the plan
- MN RN license required. BA/BS degree in Nursing preferred.
- Minimum five years clinical experience required with 2 - 3 years experience in heart failure
- Previous care management experience preferred
- Heart Failure Nursing Certification or equivalent preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with primary care providers
Clinical judgment and critical thinking:
- Demonstrates sound knowledge bases and actions in the decision making process for designated patient populations
- Demonstrates a high level of verbal communication sills
- Ability to effectively communicate with staff, providers, patients, families, and outside agencies
- Ability to solve complex problems quickly, efficiently, and creatively
- Ability to work effectively/creatively through difficult situations
Management of multiple priorities/Organizational skills:
- This position has multiple priorities, and may require attention to multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be able to develop consistent standards and facilitate development of consistent workflow processes through the Allina system
- Ability to identify needs in the workplace and creatively work to resolve situations independently and implement new strategies
- Must be comfortable with change and respond flexibly to multiple changes
- This role will be responsible for program development and implementation
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Full-time: 40 hours/week
- Day Shift
- No weekend
- Non Contract
With beautiful natural settings along the Mississippi River, St. Paul embodies a large ethnically diverse population with restaurants, cultural entertainment, and shopping venues for everyone. Downtown St. Paul features a number of historic buildings including the State Capitol, the Fitzgerald Theater (home to Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion"), the Landmark Center, the St. Paul Hotel, and breathtaking views of the Mississippi River. The city is also home to the Science Museum of MN, the Xcel Energy Center (home of the MN Wild hockey team), and the MN History Center. St. Paul offers many private, alternative, and public school options from elementary through college and a wide array of housing options from old historic homes to new construction. The Twin Cities is consistently ranked near the top of Fortune's list of best cities in the world for work and family. A healthy business climate, opportunities for employment, good transportation, and an entrepreneurial environment are amongst the contributing factors.
- Located in St. Paul
- Population = 287,000
- Service Area = 1,600,000
Community Resource Links:
If you are interested in becoming part of our award winning team of professionals, please apply online today. Allina Health is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants. EEO / AA