Sr. Software Engineer - Java
Sr. Software Engineer - Java
ABILITY is looking for a Sr. Software Engineer (Java) to join our dynamic development team. This position will play a key role in designing and implementing new and existing applications, making constructive suggestions for change and being a consistent advocate for best practices design, implementation, and process.
ABILITY works to save lives by facilitating information exchange and knowledge-sharing among every participant within the healthcare spectrum – hospitals, physician practices, home care providers, DMEs, and private and government payers – as well as the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). In use for more than a decade in more than 3,000 hospitals across the country, ABILITY’s network supports healthcare decision makers in their quest to promote care coordination and collaboration, reduce record fragmentation, participate in new and emerging care models, and access the Direct Project network and state and community-based Health Information Exchanges (HIEs).
The people who work at ABILITY are proud of who they are and what they do. They feel a strong connection to the people they work with and share a sense that the work they do “makes a real difference.” They express a great sense of reward from knowing that the work they do and the products and services that ABILITY offers make a profound impact on their customers’ lives and even more so on the quality of care that patients receive.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, enhance, maintain and support current and new Java applications.
- Responsible for developing solutions across all tiers of the application and ensuring quality.
- Improve the efficiency and quality of our projects by assisting in the formulation of standards and practices across multiple teams.
- Work and communicate in a cross-functional team environment comprised of software engineers, product managers, software test engineers, and product support engineers.
- Proactively provide status, raise issues, and communicate necessary information to your manager and/or appropriate team members on a regular basis via daily stand-up meetings, one-on-one meetings, code check-in messages, and/or impromptu occasions. Facilitate and lead technical discussions and/or presentations.
- Contribute to and enhance coding standards, best practices, and procedures. Ensure adherence to coding standards and team processes and procedures through collaborative development.
- Investigate and analyze reported defects in a timely manner, and recommend solutions to these problems including code changes, data updates, or configuration modifications.
- Proactively explore methods and tools to improve the overall development process. Make recommendations and assist in the implementation of new processes and tools.
- Provide input into performance reviews for other team members.
- Facilitate and assist in the task estimation process.
- Mentor other ABILITY Network employees.
- Lead teams of engineers to successfully deliver products fulfilling business value needs.
- BS degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, Mathematics, or equivalent experience.
- 5 to 8 years professional Java programming with emphasis on quality.
- Ideal candidates will have 3+ years of the following:
- SQL query development (SQL Server, MySQL, Postgres)
- Experience with Linux
- Spring (MVC, Dependency Injection, Annotations)
- 2+ years Agile/Iterative/Scrum development experience.
- Excellent analytical skills, understanding of project life cycles, and ability to act in an entrepreneurial manner to ensure the software delivered matches the needs of the customer base and business community.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for both a technical and non-technical audience.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Proven analytical, planning, problem solving and decision-making skills .
- Desire to learn new technologies.
ABILITY offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, metro transit programs, 401(k) and a generous amount of paid time off in addition to paid holidays. Additional perks include free beverages and healthy snacks, staff outings, fitness discounts, employee referral bonus program, casual dress and a very dynamic office environment to call home.
As an employee of ABILITY you will work with cutting edge technologies in an innovative, collaborative and exciting work environment. We are a growing company that provides for incredible career advancement and development.
To apply, please click apply now.