Mentors (Elk River YMCA)
This job has now expired
Mentors Inspiring Success Program
The Y is a cause-driven organization that is for youth development, for healthy living and for social responsibility. That’s because a strong community can only be achieved when we invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors.
The Mentors Inspiring Success Program is a collaboration between the Elk River YMCA and Sherburne County, and funded through OJJDP. The goal of MISP is to assist children (ages 6-17) involved with the foster care system by establishing a close connection with an adult through a mentoring relationship. In the short term, the program will prevent foster care placements, transition children out of foster care and prevent children from re-entry into the foster care system. In the long-term, children will develop the life skills necessary to become successful adults who are not reliant on the social services or justice systems.
- Meet once a week with your mentee for one year’s time
- Meetings might vary between 1-5 hours at a time and may be community-based events and activities (such as: seeing a movie, having a meal together, participating in a sporting event, going to the YMCA to attend a class, etc) or monthly events put on by the Mentors Inspiring Success Program.
- Be on time for scheduled meetings with your mentee
- Act in accordance with program policies and procedures
- Keep open communication with your mentee/mentee family, as well as with program staff
- Attend on-going mentor training sessions twice a year (no cost to you)
- be at least 19 years of age
- commit to a minimum of one in-person visit per week lasting at least one hour with the mentee for 1:1 mentoring
- complete the screening procedure including a background check
- have access to an automobile or reliable transportation
- have never been accused, arrested, charged, or convicted of child abuse
- be free of any felony convictions within the past seven years
- be encouraging and supportive
- be patient and flexible
- be accepting and respectful of individual differences
BENEFITS: Free YMCA Membership!
Please contact Allyssa Mashak, MISP Mentor Coordinator for more information and an application at 763-230-2823 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org