Structural Engineer II
The Structural Engineer II provides timely, accurate, and cost efficient structural engineering services both in the office and in the field. Responsibilities include planning, design, construction, and maintenance in the areas of miscellaneous structures and buildings. Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects, Practice Areas, and offices.
· Provide services for structural engineering projects to include design, plans, specifications, reports, project budgets, scope of service, contracts, schedules, estimates, data collection, construction observation, field investigation, and coordination of subconsultants and contractors.
· Provide structural design of all steel, concrete, wood, masonry, and aluminum structures.
· Knowledgeable in latest editions of the International Building Code, AISC Steel Construction Manual, National Design Specification for Wood Construction, ASCE Standard 7, and ACI 318: Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete.
· Provide engineering services with accuracy, on time and under budget.
· Provide quality control on all project work.
· Limited role growing to a more prominent role as project manager or project engineer on designated projects as individual becomes more experienced.
· May be a client manager and report progress to supervising engineer.
· This position has the potential to be, or to develop into, a leadership position with a supervisory role depending on experience. Individuals with more experience have the opportunity to supervise staff, coordinate business development, and handle project financials.
· Provide direction and review for and support to the group by leading design aspects of projects; instructing, training, and mentoring group members and support staff; and adhering to project budget and schedule.
· Limited role growing to a more prominent role with marketing responsibilities with assigned clients to obtain work for the firm as individual becomes more experienced.
· Confer with project team members and clients to prepare and participate in project proposals and interviews.
· Use computer assisted engineering, design, and drafting software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
· Familiar with RISA 3D, Revit, AutoCAD, and Microsoft Office products.
· Understand and follow company established standard CADD procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
· Attend internal and external meetings.
· Client contact and communication. Utilize effective communication skills to answer inquiries from coworkers, clients, or the public.
· Public involvement may include speaking and meeting with stakeholders as well as producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material.
· Provide all engineering services in a legal and ethical manner.
· Serve as onsite project representative. Reviews construction site to monitor progress and other duties per the contract documents.
· Effectively deal with difficult situations and confrontation both internally and externally with contractors and clients.
· Exercise independent thinking, creativity, and initiative in the performance of these duties.
· Perform all responsibilities with attention to detail and deadlines.
· Must project a professional, positive attitude and exercise confidentiality.
· Work effectively both independently and as team member.
· Understand, interpret, participate in, and implement company-mandated safety policies.
· Travel is required; may work overtime, especially during the construction season.
A Bachelors degree in civil engineering or a related field from an accredited four-year college or university is required and 5-10 years of experience. A PE (Professional Engineer) license is highly desired. The individual must interact with people at all levels and communicate effectively. Strong computer skills, detail-oriented, self-starter, leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential. A valid drivers license is required, or the ability to obtain one.
Experience in land development preferred.