This job is no longer available
The Engineering Technician II provides technical and field support services. This is accomplished by utilizing the principles, methods, theories, and techniques of engineering and surveying technology both in the office and out in the field.
· Perform design of portions of projects or entire projects under direction of the project manager. This may include design computations, construction costs, quantity estimates, reports, plans and specifications, construction schedules, permits, and budgets.
· Prepare and revise technical drawings from rough sketches or from engineering and design information using CADD software programs.
· Be able to use Microsoft Office Excel, Word and PowerPoint for the preparation of planning and design documents.
· Understand and follow company established standard CADD procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
· Become thoroughly familiar with the plans and specifications, maps, and related material for each project and be able to utilize the information appropriately.
· Production and maintenance of correspondence, legal descriptions and easements, permits, bid and estimate forms, engineering and other agreements, project files, project closeouts, and other material as requested.
· Provide construction observation and construction surveying utilizing procedures, principles, and practices.
· Communicate consistently with the project manager and contractor and keep them informed of project progress in the field especially being aware of potential issues.
· Inspect and approve materials before installation.
· Field lab work, on-site testing, and calculations.
· Write reports on observations from field inspection and laboratory analyses.
· Operate survey equipment.
· Staking, grading, blue-topping, and survey field books.
· Change, correct, and design grade changes in the field when approved by the Project Manager.
· Facilitate, schedule, coordinate, confirm, and attend team, client, and contractor meetings. This may be on a weekly or project-dictated basis to discuss project status, budget, plans and specifications, and public relations issues.
· Utilize effective communication skills to make presentations to and answer inquiries from coworkers, clients, or the public.
· Effectively deal with difficult situations and confrontation both internally and externally with contractors and clients.
· Understand, interpret, participate in, and implement company-mandated safety policies.
· May cross-train to have the ability to perform multiple duties in multiple Practice Areas.
· May be assigned specific responsibilities within the office or corporation, as needed.
· Mentor Engineering Technician I individuals in areas of expertise.
· May provide new hire orientation.
· Perform all responsibilities with attention to detail and deadlines.
· Must project a professional, positive attitude and use extreme confidentiality.
· Work effectively both independently and as team member.
· Maintain orderly work area allowing team members access to project information.
· Provide all services in a legal and ethical manner.
· Exercise independent thinking, creativity, and initiative in the performance of these duties.
· Travel is required; may work overtime, especially during the construction season.
A two-year degree in engineering technology or a related field is highly desirable; however, applicable experience may be accepted. A minimum of 5 years of experience is required. The individual must interact with people at all levels and communicate effectively. Strong computer skills with drafting emphasis, detail-oriented, self-starter, leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential. A valid drivers license is required, or the ability to obtain one.
· Able to analyze an airport and identify facilities.
· AutoCAD familiarity required. Civil 3D is preferred but not required.
· GIS familiarity preferred, but not required.