Airport Planner II/III
· This position will include participating in public meetings, public hearings, agency meetings, and coordinating with airport users.
· The applicant will be responsible for the management, preparation, and QA and QC of airport planning documents on general aviation and air carrier airports.
- Planning documents may include but are not limited to: master plans, airport layout plans, creation of alternatives and design standards for environmental assessments, site selection studies, aeronautical surveys, instrument approach feasibility studies, safety and security analysis, benefit cost analysis studies, writing and updating airport certification manuals, emergency plans, and security manuals.
- Keep current with FAA planning and design aspects.
· Professional planning, technical, and program management.
- Problem definition, development of goals and objectives, evaluation of alternatives, computer modeling for the development of detailed program recommendations.
· Assist in the preparation, interpretation, and modification of reports, schedules, environmental studies, permits, maps, drawings, aerial photographs, project characteristics, and other project related data needed for planning projects.
· Provide planning services with accuracy, on time and under budget.
· Provide quality control on all project work.
· Limited role growing to a more prominent role as project or client manager on designated projects and with marketing responsibilities with assigned clients to obtain work.
· This position has the potential to be, or to develop into, a leadership position with a supervisory role depending on experience. Individuals with more experience have the opportunity to supervise staff, coordinate business development, and handle project financials.
· Provide direction and review for and support to the group by leading planning aspects of projects; instructing, training, and mentoring group members and support staff; and adhering to project budget and schedule.
· Confer with project team members and clients to prepare and participate in project proposals and interviews.
· Understand and follow company established standard procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
· Use computer software and equipment to prepare planning documents.
· Attend internal and external meetings, night meetings may be required.
· Client contact and communication. Utilize effective communication skills to answer inquiries from coworkers, clients, or the public.
· Public involvement includes speaking and meeting with stakeholders as well as producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material.
· Provide all planning services in a legal and ethical manner.
· Effectively deal with difficult situations and confrontation both internally and externally with contractors and clients.
· Exercise independent thinking, creativity, and initiative in the performance of these duties.
· Perform all responsibilities with attention to detail and deadlines.
· Must project a professional, positive attitude and exercise confidentiality.
· Work effectively both independently and as team member.
· Understand, interpret, participate in, and implement company-mandated safety policies.
· Travel is required; may work overtime, especially during the construction season.
Bachelors or Masters degree in planning, civil engineering, or a related field is required. Must have 5-10 years of related planning experience specific to the position (e.g., transportation, airport or environmental). An AICP or PE certification is highly desired. The individual must interact with people at all levels and communicate effectively. Strong computer skills, detail-oriented, self-starter, leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential. A valid drivers license is required, or the ability to obtain one.
· Familiarity with FAA advisory circulars that pertain to the planning and design incorporated into the planning studies.
· Familiarity with federal laws pertaining to airport planning and design is required; local, and state is preferred.
· Knowledge of the environmental process is a plus.