Transit Store Cashier - Minneapolis
This job has now expired
Nature of work requires availability for assignment on any shift/location.
Metro Transit, the largest provider of transit service in the seven-county metropolitan area and one of the country's largest transit systems is looking for you. We operate bus and rail service essential to the region's mobility, and provide resources for carpooling, vanpooling and bike commuting. Metro Transit helps people get to where they're going, makes a dent in the region's ever-growing congestion, and promotes a cleaner environment.
Under direct, but limited supervision, sells convenience fares and various promotional items to customers. Prepares detailed reports, bank deposits for all sales transactions and helps customers with detailed route information and questions.
- Sells Metro Transit fare items to customers, helps customers determine the best type of fare product for their needs, and collects proper payment for sale.
- Accurately prepares and reconciles daily bank deposits, balance sheets, electronic fares and ticket inventory records in accordance with the policies and procedures established in the sales operations manual; maintains a secure area.
- Provides direction to customers with transit questions, including, instructing users on how to use tickets; provides information on best routing for customer and presents the routing information with corresponding route schedules so that the system is easy to use.
- Helps customers with transit issues by referring them to the best resource based on the information received; receives lost and found items from Customer Service for customer pick up.
- Stocks transit schedule racks with up to date schedules; orders route schedules and transit information from various resources.
- Maintains an organized and clean transit store appearance.
- Assists with Metropass and other fare-card media production process.
- Performs assigned duties in the sales operations department when not needed at stores.
- May be required to travel to various transit stores to maintain proper levels of service.
- Performs other related duties.
High school graduate or equivalent. Three (3) years of work experience as: a bank teller, face to face customer service representative or a cashier in a high volume, multi- payment medium retail environment.
10-key and data entry accuracy of 5,000 keystrokes an hour.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of procedures and techniques for proper cash handling; principles and practices of good customer service; fundamentals of clerical and office procedures.
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office, (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions. Ability to write basic correspondence. Ability to effectively work with small groups of customers or clients.
- Basic arithmetic; basic accounting principles (balancing and reconciling of accounts).
- Promotes an equitable, positive and respectful work environment that values cultural and diversity among all employees.
Union: ATU Grade 17
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Assessment Process: Candidates will be referred to the hiring supervisor for consideration based upon the results of the following:
- Education and experience rating - pass/fail
- Work record evaluation (ATU members only) - pass/fail
- Skills assessment evaluation - pass/fail
- Oral Exam - 100
All job offers for internal and external candidates, are contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment background check. This includes verification of education and employment, a criminal background check and a per-employment drug screen and physical when required.
Criminal Background Check: Applicants convicted of a felony, misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor in the last seven-years may be disqualified if the underlying conduct is job-related or involves unlawful sale, trafficking or conspiracy to sell unlawful controlled substances or possession of a controlled substance; robbery, fraud, embezzlement; violent or sex related crimes.
Other convictions are not an automatic bar to employment and each case is considered on its individual merits as well as the type of work sought. Making a false statement or withholding information (misrepresentation) will cause an applicant to be barred from consideration for the position.
Metropolitan Council employees who are applying for positions which are, Safety Sensitive, supervisory/managerial; are located in Finance, Information Services (IS), Human Resources; or have access to financial records, files/databases, cash, vouchers, transit fare cards will be required to pass a criminal background check.
The Metropolitan Council is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. If you have a disability that requires accommodation during the selection process, please notify human resources at 612/349-7558.