This job is no longer available
The Staking Engineer provides technical and field services associated with routing, permitting, easement acquisition, design and staking of electrical distribution power lines. This is accomplished by learning and utilizing the principles, methods, theories, and techniques of engineering and surveying technology both in the office and out in the field.
· Right-of-Way acquisition
· Basic surveying
· Electrical and structural engineering design elements Prepare and submit permits, exhibits, and legal documents
· Field work including construction inspection
· Prepare and revise technical drawings from rough sketches or from engineering and design information using CADD software programs with general guidance.
· Understand and follow company established standard CADD procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
· Become thoroughly familiar with the plans and specifications, maps, and related material for each project and be able to utilize the information appropriately.
· Production and maintenance of correspondence, legal descriptions and easements, permits, bid and estimate forms, engineering and other agreements, project files, project closeouts, and other material as requested.
· Provide construction observation and construction surveying procedures, principles, and practices.
· Communicate consistently with the project manager and contractor and keep them informed of project progress in the field especially being aware of potential issues.
· Inspect and approve of materials before installation.
· Field lab work, on-site testing, and calculations.
· Write reports on observations from field inspection and laboratory analyses.
· Operate survey equipment.
· Staking, grading, blue-topping, and survey field books.
· Facilitate, schedule, coordinate, confirm, and attend team, client, and contractor meetings. This may be on a weekly or project-dictated basis to discuss project status, budget, plans and specifications, and public relations issues.
· Utilize effective communication skills to answer inquiries from coworkers, clients, or the public.
· Effectively deal with difficult situations and confrontation both internally and externally with contractors and clients.
· Provide all services in a legal and ethical manner.
· Exercise independent thinking, creativity, and initiative in the performance of these duties.
· Perform all responsibilities with attention to detail and deadlines.
· Must project a professional, positive attitude and use extreme confidentiality.
· Work effectively both independently and as team member.
· Maintain orderly work area allowing team members access to project information.
· Understand, interpret, participate in, and implement company-mandated safety policies.
· Travel is required; may work overtime, especially during the construction season.
A two-year degree in engineering technology or a related field is highly desirable; however, applicable experience may be accepted. A minimum of 5-15 years of experience is preferred in engineering or an engineering related field. The individual must interact with people at all levels and communicate effectively. Strong computer skills, detail-oriented, self-starter, leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential. A valid drivers license is required.