This job is no longer available
POSITION TITLE: Refugee Program Specialist: Employment Counselor (Regular, Full-time, non-exempt)
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Refugee Services
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To provide and coordinate services to refugees and asylees which promote self-sufficiency and goal attainment in compliance with MCCRS programs and contracts. This program works specifically within employment services to assist refugees to seek, secure, and maintain employment leading to self-sufficiency as early as possible.
- Conduct intake and assessments to determine client eligibility for program(s).
- Encourage early self-sufficiency and independence of all program participants.
- Develop plans with program participants empowering them to reach agreed-upon goals and meet program guidelines. * Assist clients develop skills to reach defined personal and program goals. * Provide direct assistance to clients based on program goals, client goal plans, and position work plan. * Provide follow up services to ensure program goals and client needs are met. * Make appropriate and meaningful referrals to meet client needs, as appropriate. * Explain application procedures to individuals and/or assist participants to complete forms.
- Work closely with MCC colleagues to ensure that refugees are integrated into the broader array of services available in the organization
- Promote MCC Refugee Services Programs to potential clients and recruit clients to meet enrollment goals.
- Meet outcome goals defined in contract (s) related to four lines of service. Including the following: * Assist refugees/asylees to develop and implement an employment plan leading to employment and self sufficiency. * Assist refugees/asylees to overcome barriers to self sufficiency.
- Provide translation and interpretation support for other Refugee Services projects, as needed.
- Provide ongoing cultural orientation to program participants
- Maintain positive relationships with community partners relevant to program activities.
- Submit regular reports to track client outcomes, fulfill reporting requirements, and capture client success stories.
- Document all contacts and services in case files, as appropriate
- Oversee volunteer activities, as appropriate.
- Assist in emergencies as they arise
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience working with refugees or recent immigrants
- Knowledge of local refugee and immigrant populations, the resources available to them, and the state and federal policies that impact them.
- Demonstrated understanding of American culture and ability to interpret cultural differences.
- Commitment to early self-sufficiency of refugees
- Strong motivational and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across organizational boundaries.
- Demonstrated Ability to maintain detailed records and submit accurate reports in a timely manner.
- Strong English language communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated strong communication, negotiation, and mediation skills.
- Proven ability to work in crisis situations.
- Prefer case management experience focusing on attainment of outcomes in areas of housing, employment, education, family functioning, or immigration.
- Proven capacity to work in fast paced social service environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Bilingual proficiency in a relevant language preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook preferred. Proven ability to use basic office equipment including copiers, postage machines, and fax machines
- Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation required.
- Availability to work occasional weekend or evening hours
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND CONDITIONS
Normal office conditions. This position works out of MCC’s office at 122 West Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis. Job duties are performed during the weekday business hours, with occasional weekend or evening hours.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
This is a full time, non-exempt position. Sick leave, vacation, pension, life insurance and medical insurance benefits as provided by MCC personnel policy.
SUBMIT COMPLETED APPLICATION BY 5 PM, TUESDAY, JANUARY 29
Minnesota Council of Churches
122 West Franklin Ave #100
Minneapolis MN 55404
The Minnesota Council of Churches is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.