This job is no longer available
Researches regulations, law, codes, case law and other sources and may author opinions. Prepares various legal and administrative documents and correspondence. Represents MPHA in administrative hearings and housing court under a power of attorney. Performs administrative duties. Responds to inquiries related to MPHA’s HCV/Section 8 and public housing programs and other various inquiries. Reports to the General Counsel.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in paralegal studies; or
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in any major
- Must pass a Criminal History/Driver’s License Background check.
- AND a certificate from an accredited paralegal certificate program or a law degree.
- Essential Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researches and analyzes statutes, regulations, codes, case law, and other sources and may author opinions.
- Prepares and serves and files with the court as required correspondence, discovery documents, lease terminations, eviction actions, affidavits of service, and other documents.
- Responds to data practices, VAWA, reasonable accommodation, and other requests.
- Represents MPHA in court eviction actions and expungement hearings as permitted by a power of attorney or otherwise.
- Acts as a hearing officer in public housing and Section 8 administrative proceedings or hearings.
- E-files documents in federal and state courts.
- Receipts payments in the Rent Collections Department and attends evictions.
- Responds to inquiries regarding former and current public housing tenants and HCV/Section 8 participants and landlords.
- Complies with Medicare and Medicaid SCHIP Extension Act reporting requirements.
- Maintains open and closed files or documents in compliance with MPHA’s Record Retention Policy.
- Performs administrative duties such as answering the phone, reading, and processing mail and invoices.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite programs; e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, and Westlaw or LexisNexis.
- Ability to operate computer, fax, photocopier, and other office machines for extended periods of time as needed.
- Ability to problem solve and synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Ability to research case and statutory law, regulations, and ordinances.Ability to collect, research, and analyze data.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with a diverse clientele.
- Possess excellent writing skills.
- Ability to write decisions that state facts and policies and analyze the application of facts to the policies.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure during periods of high volume activity.
- Possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to keep government data private or confidential.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in state of residence and have access to private transportation during work hours.
About Our Organization:
The Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) is a public agency responsible for administering public housing and Section 8 rent assistance programs for eligible individuals and families in Minneapolis. A nine member Board of Commissioners governs MPHA. The Board Chairperson and four Commissioners (one of whom is a public housing high-rise resident) are appointed by the Mayor of Minneapolis; four Commissioners (one of whom is a public housing family resident) are appointed by the Minneapolis City Council.
Our Mission Statement: The mission of the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority is to promote and deliver quality, well-managed homes to a diverse, low-income population and, with partners, contribute to the well-being of the individuals, families, and community we serve.
All applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample to: Minneapolis Public Housing Authority Attn: Human Resources (#13-02) 1001 Washington Avenue North Minneapolis, MN 55401-1043.
Or, click Apply now to go our website.