Researches regulations, law, codes, case law and other sources and may author opinions. Prepares various legal and administrative documents and correspondence. Represents MPHA in administrative hearings and housing court under a power of attorney. Performs administrative duties. Responds to inquiries related to MPHA’s HCV/Section 8 and public housing programs and other various inquiries. Reports to the General Counsel.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in paralegal studies; or
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university in any major
- Must pass a Criminal History/Driver’s License Background check.
- AND a certificate from an accredited paralegal certificate program or a law degree.
- Essential Duties Include (but are not limited to):
- Researches and analyzes statutes, regulations, codes, case law, and other sources and may author opinions.
- Prepares and serves and files with the court as required correspondence, discovery documents, lease terminations, eviction actions, affidavits of service, and other documents.
- Responds to data practices, VAWA, reasonable accommodation, and other requests.
- Represents MPHA in court eviction actions and expungement hearings as permitted by a power of attorney or otherwise.
- Acts as a hearing officer in public housing and Section 8 administrative proceedings or hearings.
- E-files documents in federal and state courts.
- Receipts payments in the Rent Collections Department and attends evictions.
- Responds to inquiries regarding former and current public housing tenants and HCV/Section 8 participants and landlords.
- Complies with Medicare and Medicaid SCHIP Extension Act reporting requirements.
- Maintains open and closed files or documents in compliance with MPHA’s Record Retention Policy.
- Performs administrative duties such as answering the phone, reading, and processing mail and invoices.
- Performs other duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite programs; e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, and Westlaw or LexisNexis.
- Ability to operate computer, fax, photocopier, and other office machines for extended periods of time as needed.
- Ability to problem solve and synthesize complex or diverse information.
- Ability to research case and statutory law, regulations, and ordinances.Ability to collect, research, and analyze data.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing with a diverse clientele.
- Possess excellent writing skills.
- Ability to write decisions that state facts and policies and analyze the application of facts to the policies.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure during periods of high volume activity.
- Possess strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to keep government data private or confidential.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license in state of residence and have access to private transportation during work hours.
About Our Organization:
The Minneapolis Public Housing Authority (MPHA) is a public agency responsible for administering public housing and Section 8 rent assistance programs for eligible individuals and families in Minneapolis. A nine member Board of Commissioners governs MPHA. The Board Chairperson and four Commissioners (one of whom is a public housing high-rise resident) are appointed by the Mayor of Minneapolis; four Commissioners (one of whom is a public housing family resident) are appointed by the Minneapolis City Council.
Our Mission Statement: The mission of the Minneapolis Public Housing Authority is to promote and deliver quality, well-managed homes to a diverse, low-income population and, with partners, contribute to the well-being of the individuals, families, and community we serve.
All applicants must submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample to: Minneapolis Public Housing Authority Attn: Human Resources (#13-02) 1001 Washington Avenue North Minneapolis, MN 55401-1043.
Or, click Apply now to go our website.