Personal Trainer (St. Paul Midway YMCA)
We are very excited to announce that the St. Paul Midway YMCA has an immediate opening for an energetic Personal Trainer to join our team.
The Personal Trainer follows the YMCA of the USA health and fitness guidelines and is responsible for planning and leading a range of individualized or group exercise/activity sessions for clients in a fitness specialty area. The incumbent performs a variety of fitness programs that are both educational and motivational. The incumbent provides customer service which promotes member wellness in accordance with the YMCA policies and procedures and creates a safe, enjoyable, and positive environment.
- Instruct a variety of individualized or group exercise/activity sessions for members.
- Plan and instruct progressive classes in a specialty area. Observe and discuss individual progress with participants. Motivate and guide individuals/class and program participation. Ensure safe and effective classes; responding to and reporting any accidents or incidents.
- Administer and evaluate health history questionnaires and other pre-participation documentation with regard to individual exercise programs. Administer and interpret health/fitness assessments. Track client progress and maintain appropriate documentation in participant files.
- Instruct individual clients in proper exercise technique and use of equipment. Develop and implement individualized exercise programs including cardiovascular, resistance training, flexibility, balance/stability, and postural components that provide optimum results for the client. Provide encouragement and support for the client and recognize the client's strengths and weaknesses.
- Adhere to all guidelines and expectations as outlined in the One YMCA Health/Fitness Staff Manual.
- Maintain required CEC’s and national certifications. Perform Fitness Center Staff duties when not scheduled for personal training or fitness instruction classes.
Qualifications - Required
- Formal training in the specialty class being taught and/or ability to demonstrate the movements and exercises recommended.
- Education and/or equivalent knowledge related to fitness, exercise physiology, or health and wellness.
- Nationally Accredited Personal Training Certification such as the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), American Council on Exercise (ACE), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), or National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), WaterArt ® Aquatic Personal Training Specialist Certification, or other approved and accredited certifications.
- Certifications required within 30 days of hire: CPR/PR, First Aid, AED, and Oxygen.
- Must hold appropriate certification/ training in area(s) of specialty programming; i.e., Pilates Reformer, New Leaf, Kettlebelles, etc.
- Attend and successfully complete within 90 days of hire: YMCA Healthy Lifestyles.
- Demonstrated customer service skills and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to lead an individual/class and motivate others to achieve their fitness goals.
- Demonstrated ability working with all age groups and ability levels. Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations.
Qualifications - Preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Health/Exercise Science or related field.
- 1 year experience in specialty format being taught.
- 6 months experience in fitness instruction and/or personal training.
- National Certification in Group Fitness and Personal Training.
- Ability to instruct assigned classes, demonstrating exercise techniques and perform associated physical activities.