This job is no longer available
The Director of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity is a creative and strategic leader and an effective manager who leads a team charged with enhancing UMD’s workforce, and providing HR consultation, support and services to the UMD community and leadership. The HR & EO Director manages the operations of the Human Resource and Equal Opportunity department, delegating responsibilities to the HR & EO team to ensure the department’s adherence to the mission and goals outlined in the UMD Strategic Plan.
The Director is responsible for managing the work of the Department of Human Resources & Equal Opportunity, for developing related policies and procedures and coordinating campus-wide activities designed to assure high quality services and programs to align with the needs of the UMD campus. Included in such activities is employment, compensation, training and development, labor relations, grievance processing, employee relations, Workers’ Compensation, payroll, and ensuring compliance with all laws, statutes, and regulations including Equal Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Act, Family and Medical Leave Act, Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, etc.
This position reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Operations, but is expected to respond to the needs of the UMD executive leadership and has a dotted line relationship to the Vice President for the Office of Human Resources for the University of Minnesota. The HR & EO Director works closely with the Chancellor, all vice chancellors, deans, directors, and other key administrative staff. The Director works on many projects with various Twin Cities campus offices, including (but not limited to) the Office of Human Resources, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, Office of the General Counsel, and the Office of Conflict Resolution. In addition, this position will work with HR Leaders across the University of Minnesota system to take advantage of best practices and contribute to the development of the University-wide HR community.
Work involves frequent communication with all levels and categories of employees across the campus and system, local agencies and the general public, utilizing extensive procedural knowledge and organizational skills which cover a wide range of activities and a high volume of requests.
- BA or BS degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible experience in a human resources leadership role.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully within a complex, highly collaborative environment, such as higher education, government, or non-profit organizations.
- At least five years of supervisory experience including experience supervising teams.
- Demonstrated experience working with members of diverse groups and advancing diversity.
- Experience developing and administering strategic performance and compensation programs.
- Experience developing and interpreting policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of relevant laws impacting work environments.
- Experience with investigating equal opportunity or harassment complaints.
- Experience with labor relations: performance management, interpreting union contracts, investigating grievances, delivering discipline.
- Experience with technology.
- An advanced degree in Human Resource Management, Human Resource Development, Organizational Management or closely related field.
- SPHR certification or equivalent.
- Progressively responsible experience in human resources leadership in a public or private higher education institution.
- Exceptional interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under tight deadlines, with high volume and multiple interruptions, and to work collaboratively with all levels and types of positions within an organization.
- Demonstrated experience as an innovative thinker.
- Demonstrated experience leading a unit to meet goals while continuing to promote and maintain a cooperative, consultative, and motivating work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and delegate responsibilities appropriately.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and analyze issues in the workplace and implement solutions.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation, and assessment of short-term and long-term HR & EO strategies.
- Project management skills, and excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Strong analytical skill and experience in the use of metrics.
- Organizational effectiveness experience, with ability to develop and facilitate customized training.
- Working knowledge of HRIS, HRMS systems.
- Teaching or training experience.
Strategic Leadership and Planning
- Serve as member of the Vice Chancellor of Finance and Operations Management team to ensure advancement of UMD’s strategic HR & EO direction.
- Develop and implement HR & EO programs to enhance UMD’s workforce and to support the alignment of staff capacities with the strategic direction of UMD and the University system.
- Develop UMD negotiation strategies consistent with campus and University priorities, financial constraints, and employee units’ needs.
- Act as the campus spokesperson in assigned negotiations.
- Maintain the campus strike plans and coordinate the update process as needed.
To apply, go to http://employment.umn.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=107524. Applications received via email or hard copy will not be accepted.
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.