This job is no longer available
The Assistant Publicist is responsible for providing liaison and support for the Publicity department via project development, coordination, administration, trafficking and delivery of publicity communications and materials to internal and external groups.
• Coordinates communications efforts, such as media mailings, email blasts and posting and updating online content, including Trade copy transfer to intranet and websites.
• Assists with implementing book publicity campaigns and manage event logistics, including facilitating and creating trade show promotional materials.
• Assists other publicists and supports department initiatives.
• Assists in the administration, development, and monitoring of email and online campaigns.
• Implements publicity campaigns for 3-4 nonfiction titles per season, while also managing those assigned authors.
• Creates publicity materials, such as press releases and press kits.
• Coordinates print galley ordering and distribution between Publicity, Sales, Marketing and Production.
• Administers NetGalley e-galley program.
• Responds to all review copy requests and ensure timely delivery of requested material.
• Acts as general media liaison, fielding daily requests from media and authors.
• Creates and delivers primary Publicity seasonal media newsletters.
• Manages awards program.
• Responsible for compilation and distribution of biweekly publicity updates to internal staff.
• Maintains Book and Author Publicity files (electronic and paper) for all three imprints. Ensures all information is well organized and easily accessible.
Skills, Education and Experience
• Bachelors degree with emphasis in English, Public Relations or Journalism.
• Possesses basic understanding of book publishing, marketing processes and database logic.
• Strong attention to detail and accuracy as well as organized and methodical, yet able to change direction.
• Demonstrated knowledge of both PC and Mac-based applications, such as MS Office Suite, Creative Suite, as well as familiarity with database applications (MS Access, FileMaker, ACT) and CisionPoint.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and function well under pressure with multiple deadlines.
• Ability to work as a partner in a diverse team setting by creation and maintenance of positive, professional relationships with colleagues, media, authors, vendors and other trade professionals.
• Ability to undertake basic data analysis and to gather market trends and competitive information.
• Ability to proofread with accuracy, and familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style and the Associated Press style of writing.