Multicultural Student Services Academic Advisor
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Date of Appointment: July 1, 2013; Vacancies at SCSU are contingent on university budgets and funding.
The Advising Center collaborates with colleagues in Multicultural Student Services to provide students with information to help them make appropriate choices as they work out their academic programs. The Advising Center offers individualized help with:
- General Education Advising
- Academic Resources and Services
- Major and Minor options
- Intended Major changes
- Graduation Requirements
- Academic Warning and Probation
MSS advisors provide high quality academic advising to undergraduate students, particularly traditionally underrepresented students and students of color, at SCSU including: new transfer and first year students through creative, collaborative planning and implementation of Advising and Registration Days, work with first year students to develop an academic road map during the first year on campus, work with students through the processes of academic warning, suspension, appeal, and probation to develop and follow an academic success plan and to provide general academic advising services through graduation. In addition, this position is critical to providing an integrated approach to student success by working closely with staff in the Advising Center, Multicultural Student Services and other campus resources and will specialize in the area of identifying and meeting the advising needs of traditionally underrepresented students and students of color.
*Employment for this position is covered by the collective bargaining agreement for the Minnesota State University Association of Administrative Service Faculty (MSUAASF) which can be found at: http://www.hr.mnscu.edu/contract_plans/documents/MSUAASF_Contract_09-.pdf
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Sociology, Education or related field
- Progressively responsible experience working with university or community college students in advising, admissions, financial aid, records, etc.
- Progressively responsible experience working with underrepresented students and students of color
Other key competencies essential to the position:
- Knowledge of practices and procedures related to educational outreach, student advising, and retention
- Demonstrated ability using student data (e.g. student transcripts, degree audit reports, assessment scores) to advise
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the higher education system and current trends
- Demonstrated experience working with culturally, ethnically and linguistically diverse students, communities and organizations
- Knowledge of the changing demographics in our state and region
- Demonstrated ability to work with underrepresented and at-risk students
- Ability to work as part of an advising team, including professional colleagues and student advisors
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues across departmental lines
- Master’s Degree in College Counseling and Student Development, Psychology, Counseling, Social Work, Sociology, Education or related field
To apply for this position, please continue the process at: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/stcloudstate/default.cfm
Application Review begins April 1, 2013; position is open until filled.
Only complete applications will be considered. A complete application will include the following:
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for three (3) current, professional references
- Copies of Transcript(s) (undergraduate/graduate/PhD); if advanced to finalist, official transcripts will be required.
Berit Merrill, Search Committee Chair, Academic Advisor
St. Cloud State University is committed to excellence and actively supports cultural diversity. To promote this endeavor, we invite individuals who contribute to such diversity to apply, including minorities, women, LGBT, persons with disabilities and veterans. St. Cloud State University is a member of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System.