Health Information Coordinator
This job has now expired
The mission of UMPhysicians’ Health Information Department is to assure that health information practices meet legal requirements and professional practice standards for the medical record to assure quality health care to patients and their families. The Health Information Coordinator plays an integral part in executing this mission by organizing and facilitating health information department functions across the organization and ensures efficient and effective operations and compliance to organizational policy, guidelines and legal requirements.
Key responsibilities include:
- Identifies and implements defined continuous quality and process improvements for operational efficiency in the various Health Information Management (HIM) functional areas; works with HIM management to improve clinical and departmental operational efficiencies.
- Serves as the primary resource for all medical record and billing release requests; assures appropriate disclosure and timely processing of release requests; monitors turn-around-time and identifies issues; partners with HIM managers on problem resolution.
- Develops, analyzes and monitors reports regularly to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the medical records and to ensure turn-around times are met.
- Lead daily activities of central Health Record Technician staff, oversee workload and partner with HIM Management to ensure appropriate clinical support.
- Serves as the primary resource for filing and scanning best practices.
- Serves as a patient advocate regarding patient rights concerning their medical records.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual who thrives in a role where they are focused on developing and implementing high quality processes, and enjoys the concept of continuous improvement. Preferred candidates build positive, results-oriented relationships with individuals across the organization. They strike the fine balance in maintaining a personal daily workload with ensuring that the team is effectively engaged on team tasks and projects.
To qualify for the role, you must possess:
- Associates degree in Health Information Administration. Three years experience in Health Information Management in or experience in an equivalent area of study such as coding or business management may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- 3 - 5 years experience in a physician clinic, medical record environment
- Excellent communications skills; able to build relationships with individuals across the organization
- Knowledge of basic office equipment and basic technical skills
- Detail oriented and ability to organize and prioritize
- Self –directed and able to work independently and with a team
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, clinic staff and leadership
- RHIA or RHIT certification or eligibility
- 1 – 3 years experience in electronic medical record environment and release of medical information experience.
- Release of information experience
- Experience working with Epic or OnBase
- Project management experience and leadership skills
UMPhysicians has deep roots in the University of Minnesota Medical School, which has trained physicians since 1888. In 1997, 18 separate practice groups of physicians at the University united to form University of Minnesota Physicians. UMPhysicians serves as the integrated group practice for the Medical School faculty.
Since our founding we have achieved considerable growth and major improvements to our clinical and business operations. Today UMPhysicians owns and manages more than 50 specialty clinics and five family medicine clinics.
UMPhysicians is independent and non-profit, governed by a board of directors. We employ over 750 physicians and 1,400 health professionals and staff.
Advancing medical knowledge and education is central to our mission. From our first successful heart transplant in 1952 to our 700th in 2010, UMPhysicians has been on the leading edge of academic medicine in multiple specialties.
UMPhysicians offers competitive salary and excellent benefits and provides you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of healthcare through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.