This job is no longer available
Expected start date is May 15th, 2013
Collaborates with Director to provide direction, strategic planning, programming, delivery and evaluation of comprehensive career and internship services for students from all majors within traditional undergraduate, Augsburg for Adults, and graduate programs, as well as alumni. Serves as career counselor/advisor. Develops and administers outreach programs to students, faculty and student academic support programs on campus. Assists with establishing new partnerships with employers and develops strategies and programs designed to enhance employer relationships with the college that lead to increased job and internship opportunities for students. Assists students with career & internship planning and preparation. Collaborate with Career & Internship Services team to develop, plan, and deliver major project initiatives and take lead on major projects.
- Provides individual and group career counseling and advising to traditional undergraduate, graduate, and Augsburg for Adults students and alumni and assists students in clarifying academic and career goals, selecting a major, career exploration and career choices, and graduate school options.
- Administers and interprets career inventories (e.g. MBTI, STRONG, Strengths Finder) for traditional age students and adult learners individually and in courses.
- Initiates, develops and delivers workshops and panels, classroom presentations, online presentations, and special programs and events for students in day, WEC and graduate programs.
- Helps students develop and refine resumes and cover letters, teaches and coaches students on interviewing and job-search skills.
- Develops relationships with academic departments and acts as liaison to assigned academic departments.
- Establishes relationships with employers through visits, professional organizations, and meetings to increase full-time job and internship opportunities for Augsburg students.
- Supervises Graduate student intern(s)
- Assists with planning and student preparation for various job and internship fairs.
ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
- Assists Director with strategic planning and goal setting.
- Assists with assessment of student learning, program evaluation, surveys, annual graduate follow-up and writing reports.
- Assists with training and supervising graduate intern, student workers, and peer assistants.
- Conducts research on career trends for program development and dissemination to students and faculty.
- Collaborates with the MN Private Colleges career centers (MPCCC) and MCUCSA. Attends and represents Augsburg at professional organizations and meetings.
- Researches current trends in use of technology for delivering career and internship services.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Certification or training in Myers Briggs Type Indicator and Strong Interest Inventory required.
- Training in Strengths Finder preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and group presentation skills required.
- Individual and group counseling skills required.
- Strong active listening and empathy skills required.
- Ability to think long-term and plan strategically.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
- Ability to lead/teach; work in a team environment; and work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to reason/analyze; maintain confidentiality; and demonstrate patience, understanding.
- Ability to show initiative; organize workflow; manage projects; and handle frequent interruptions
- A Master’s degree in Counseling, Leadership in Higher Ed, Student Affairs or related field required.
- Five (5) years of experience providing career counseling to college students is required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the primary job responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
Years Of Experience: 2+ to 5 Years
Level of Education: Masters Degree