Casual Spanish Interpreter
This job has now expired
Allina Health is a not-for-profit system of hospitals, clinics and other health care services with more than 23,500 employees, 5,000 physicians and 2,500 volunteers dedicated to meeting the lifelong health care needs of patients and communities throughout Minnesota and western Wisconsin. Allina is a vibrant, growing organization with opportunities to suit your professional skills and a diverse work environment to match your specific interests. We believe employees are our greatest asset and are dedicated to helping you develop and maximize your professional skills.
Allina Commons is the Minneapolis-based headquarters of Allina Health, a not-for-profit health care organization serving patients and communities. Approximately 1,600 corporate and administrative service employees work at offices within Midtown Exchange, site of the historic Sears retail complex at Chicago Avenue and E. Lake Street. This community landmark, adjacent to the campus of Allina's Abbott Northwestern Hospital, is the second largest building in Minnesota and includes offices, an internationally themed public market and residential units.
- Interpret for Allina Spanish speaking patients and their companions
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Undergraduate college degree preferred
- At least one year interpreter services experience, preferably in a healthcare setting
- Successful completion of a 40 hour medical interpreter training program such as: Bridging the Gap, The Community Interpreter, and/or credits from an accredited institution in Interpreting and Translation Program such as from the University of Minnesota or Century College ...
- Must successfully demonstrate oral proficiency and medical interpretation skills based on a test demonstrating fluency in both English and the target language.
- Maintain annual current status with the Minnesota Department of Health's Spoken Language Healthcare roster.
- A basic understanding of medical protocol and terminology, including knowledge of commonly used terms and concepts related to the human body; symptoms, illnesses, and medications; and health care specialities and treatments in each language, including the ability to interpret and explicate technical expressions .
- Recognition of ethical issues, knowledge of ethical standards, and ethical decision-making, assessed by obtaining the candidate's response to scenarios calling for ethical choices
- Ability to anticipate and recognize misunderstandings that arise from the differing cultural assumptions and expectations of providers and patients and to respond to such issues appropriately
- Ability to produce oral translations, or, where appropriate, brief written translations of written texts such as application forms, signage, and medicinal labels.
- Ability to establish good rapport with patients, family members and medical staff.
- Ability to travel to Allina facilities.
- Computer skills including word processing (preferably Microsoft Word),emailing, internet and basic operation of a computer
Licensure/Certifications: Driver's License, Medical Terminology
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
- Casual position, no scheduled hours
- Day, Evening, Night shifts
- Occasional weekends
- Requires driving to different Allina Hospital & Clinic locations within the Metro Area
Minneapolis boasts being both cosmopolitan yet small enough that you can find a place to call home whether on a lake, golf course, or in an adjoining suburb. With the fast pace of activity there are professional sports, theater, or enough parks for a quiet walk. The area has numerous schools and colleges, both public or private, and enough teams for all weekend athletes to join.
- Located in Minneapolis
- Population = 380,000
- Service Area = 2,882,245
Community Resource Links:
If you are interested in becoming part of our award winning team of professionals, please apply online today. Allina Health is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to all employees and applicants. EEO / AA