This job is no longer available
Eureka Recycling, based in the Twin Cities of Saint Paul and Minneapolis, is the only organization in Minnesota that specializes in zero waste. The organization's services, programs, and policy work present solutions to the social, environmental, economic and health problems caused by wasting. A 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, Eureka Recycling's mission is to demonstrate that waste is preventable, not inevitable. Because this mission is realized by any person or group that chooses to prevent waste, Eureka Recycling provides opportunities for everyone to experience firsthand that waste can be prevented.
Perhaps most well-known for its $9 million annual recycling operations, Eureka Recycling has provided curbside and apartment recycling services, education, and advocacy since 2001. Eureka Recycling also has a wide range of other initiatives designed to prevent the needless wasting of our discards through reuse, recycling, composting, waste reduction, producer responsibility and more. These initiatives directly provide over 100 jobs for the individuals who work here and demonstrate our mission every day in the work that they do.
Eureka Recycling is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
Perform vehicle maintenance tasks as assigned on recycling collection trucks. Complete maintenance and repair work as assigned on other equipment, buildings and grounds.
• Perform assigned vehicle maintenance and minor repairs on recycling collection vehicles on site on a daily basis.
• Review daily VCR’s of all vehicles and determine what repairs need to be conducted.
• Perform data entry of information related to vehicle repairs and invoices.
• Coordinate with third party vendors all preventative maintenance, towing and repairs that need to be done off-site.
• Monitor and assure that preventive vehicle maintenance schedule is followed and documentation is current and accurate.
• Safely operate all recycling collection vehicles in order to check vehicle performance and to transport vehicles to and from route locations and offsite repair facilities.
• Operate a two-way radio to communicate with staff.
• Keep informed of road and weather conditions.
• Report all observed vehicle accidents, near misses, injuries or other safety related incidents per policy.
• Provide customer service in a professional and respectful manner when dealing with the public.
• Perform routine building and equipment maintenance and repair work as assigned. Perform carpentry, basic electrical, HVAC and plumbing tasks.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Valid Commercial Driver’s License (requiring an annual medical examination).
• Satisfactory driving record (MVR report).
• Ability to work flexible schedule.
• Meet all DOT requirements for the position (including pre-employment medical exams and mandatory drug testing).
• Understand, support and demonstrate the mission and values of the Organization.
• Minimum three years performing vehicle maintenance of commercial vehicles with air brakes - DOT certified inspectors preferred.
• Minimum one year driving a commercial vehicle with air brakes.
• Experience driving the above on city streets and in residential neighborhoods while making tight turns and/or backing up.
• Experience with reading Vehicle Condition Reports (VCRs) and performing repairs based on information listed on the reports.
• Experience in performing basic building/facility maintenance desired.
• Knowledge of the streets in the Twin Cities metro area desired.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrated skills and experience in general heavy truck repair for commercial fleet operations, including diesel engine system diagnostics, air brake repair and preventative maintenance.
• Basic computer skills (ability to open documents and databases to retrieve information, and ability to open, send and receive emails); Intermediate to advanced skills desired (proficiency in MS Outlook, Word and Excel)
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills; ability to communicate professionally and respectfully to staff at all levels of the organization.
• Knowledge of DOT commercial vehicle regulations and standards preffered.
• Ability to operate a two-way radio.
• Legible handwriting and good attention to detail.
• Observe legal and defensive driving practices.
• Work courteously and tactfully with customers and employees.
• Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Current ASE certifications desired, not required.
• Basic welding skills such as Oxy/Acetylene, MIG, and ARC desired, not required.
• Outdoor work environment; regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors.
• Subject to seasonal and adverse weather conditions.
• Subject to noise from equipment operation.
• Must drive a commercial vehicle to conduct work.
• Must perform heavy physical labor; lifting and carrying heavy objects.
• Must climb in and out of truck; bending at the waist, reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally; carrying, pushing and pulling. Need to be able to lift 50 pounds.
• Must have dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a variety of buttons and levers, and use feet to control pedals on equipment.
To Apply: Complete an online application by clicking Apply now. If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Eureka’s Human Resources Department at 612-455-9135.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION POLICY STATEMENT
Eureka Recycling will not discriminate against or harass any employee or applicants for employment or internships on the basis of race, creed, religion, sex, national origin or ancestry, familial status, age, disability, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, or affectional orientation.