Accounts Payable Technician
Accounts Payable Technician
Status: Full-time regular position, non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $20.86 - $23.30 per hour, depending on qualifications
Benefits: Qualifies for full-time benefits date of hire
Location: City Center
Hours: Standard business hours (8am-4:30pm), may vary based on business need
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Finance Supervisor
The Finance Division supports responsible management of the City’s resources by recommending financial policies, strategies and decisions necessary to maintain a healthy financial condition. Finance is responsible for operating and capital budgets, investments, debt financings, general financial analysis, financial reporting, operation of the general accounting and utility billing.
The Accounts Payable Technician supports the Finance Division by paying all expenses generated throughout the City in a timely manner while maintaining accurate vendor information. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
1) Receives, reviews, prepares, and processes checks for invoices for every aspect of city government, including utilities, operating expenses, purchase of liquor for resale, contracts for improvement, payroll liabilities, and refunds to residents.
2) Manages, updates, and maintains accounts payable vendor files; prepares reports for council.
3) Sends 1099 form to contracted employees by January 31 of each year; makes necessary changes and reports with the IRS by February 28 of each year.
4) Uploads file to the bank for positive pay and electronic payments.
5) Serves internal customers and external vendors through phone, electronic and in person means.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees will be called upon to perform a variety of duties as a part of their role with the City.
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.); additional education or one year related specialized/technical is preferred.
- Work Experience: Minimum of two years experience in general accounting/bookkeeping.
- Technical Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel); experience with financial software preferred.
All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the shared expectations: Customer Focus, Flexibility, Initiative, Results Orientation, Public Stewardship, and Teamwork.
Position Specific Expectations
- Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
- Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
- Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
- Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
- Physical Requirements: Working on spreadsheets and using the financial software requires extended use of a keyboard. Work interruptions are frequent.
- Working Conditions: Most work is performed in a normal office environment. Occasionally, the job may involve dealing with and calming individuals who are emotionally charged over an issue.
The City of Eden Prairie conducts professional reference and criminal history checks for all employees joining the organization. All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
Apply online at www.edenprairie.org under “Employment”.
Position Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014
Position Closes: Friday, August 8, 2014
Review Applications: Week of August 11-15, 2014
First Round Interviews: Week of August 18-22, 2014
Final Interviews: Tuesday, September 9, 2014
Anticipated Start Date: Monday, October 20, 2014 (negotiable)