We are a privately owned solutions provider and world leader in the electronics and thermal markets, and we are guided by our principles of innovation, performance and customer satisfaction. Now you can bring your professional expertise and visionary thinking to our growing, vibrant organization as a:
The primary duties of the Scientist/Engineer III include conducting scientific studies for understanding, characterizing and developing polymeric materials leading to potential uses for electronics applications. They also provide materials, product and process development expertise.
- Under direction of Project or Senior Project personnel, plans and performs duties as assigned including designing special parts or minor phases of a project.
- Translates technical guidance received into usable materials, products, and data applicable to the assignment.
- Maintains accurate and detailed lab notebooks.
- Interfaces with various personnel primarily within & outside the group.
- Performs all functions in a safe manner.
- Participates in the Company Continuous Improvement Plan in the interest of self-improvement.
- Conducts programs for studying structures and properties of various materials such as metals, alloys, ceramics, semiconductors and polymers to obtain research data.
- Plans experimental laboratory production of materials having special characteristics to confirm feasibility of processes and techniques for potential users.
- Prepares reports of materials studies for information of other scientists and requestors.
- Guides technical staff engaged in developing materials for specific use in projected product or device.
- Will evaluate various continuous coating processes and will formulate coatings/polymer chemistries.
- Broad based knowledge of polymer science, including polymer chemistry, structure property relationships, rheology and mechanics.
- Specific background in various commercial polymer systems, including epoxy, silicone, urethane, elastomers and other.
Education and Experience
- Master's degree (M. S.) or PHD or equivalent; or four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in research and development.
- Process/coating/formulation experience required.
- Working experience with films, ceramic materials, curing technologies (thermal, UV, E-beam and others) and 100% solids or water based formulations preferred.
- Understanding of heat transfer fundamentals and thermal management issues preferred.
- Conductive polymers or polymeric composites for EMI shielding preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Excel and Word software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to walk; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
At The Bergquist Company, we believe the financial health of our organization will be determined by the moral health of our people. You’ll receive the type of salary and benefits package you’d expect from an industry leader and so much more.
To learn more about our people-oriented company, apply online at