Data Science Graduate Intern
Summer 2017 Internship Program
You will collaborate with the brightest technical minds in building futuristic products, researching groundbreaking concepts, and influencing new ideas to transform retail. If you want to make meaningful contributions and reinvent the retail space that will impact millions of guests, Target is for you.
Are you up for the challenge?
About This Opportunity:
Anticipate future business needs and identify opportunities for complex analysis. Responsible for the development of high performance, distributed computing tasks using Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, NoSQL, text mining and other distributed environment technologies based on the needs of the organization. Designs and drives the creation of new standards and best practices in the use of statistical data modeling, big data and optimization tools for Target.com and Mobile.
As part of Target's digital transformation, you'll be given the opportunity to influence new ideas that will transform retail and provide spike developments and prototypes. You will be mentored by a technical expert in the office. You'll take the lead as you…
- Execute solutions to business problems using data analysis, data mining, optimization tools, and machine learning techniques and statistics
- Deploy data-science and technology based algorithmic solutions to address business needs for Target's digital business
- Utilize recommender systems, collaborative filtering techniques, propensity modeling to drive Target business priorities
- Assist in the decision-making process related to the selection of software architecture solutions
- Implement architectures to handle web-scale data and its organization
- Assist in the definition of software architecture to ensure that the online organization's software solutions are built within a consistent framework
- Implement Natural Language Processing, Latent-Dirichlet Analysis, Topic Modeling, search relevance
- Work in Sunnyvale, CA, Pittsburgh, PA, or Minneapolis, MN
- Working towards a PhD or Masters in math, advanced statistics, physics, bio statistics, bio science, operations research and/or computer science
- Experience in developing software applications including: analysis, design, coding, testing, deploying and supporting of applications
- Experience deploying algorithms in a production environment
- Experience designing algorithms on Hadoop ecosystem
- Experience with recommendation systems
- Proficient in application/software architecture (Definition, Business Process Modeling, etc.)
- A strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills