The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for an Instructional Designer position within the Information Technology Services (ITS)Department.
The Instructional Designer position is key part of the new St. Thomas E-Learning and Research Center (STELAR) within ITS. The Instructional Designer will be instrumental in helping faculty to create highly engaging and effective online and blended learning experiences in support of St. Thomas’ strategic plan for growth in online learning. The instructional designer will take primary responsibility for the completion of specific new online or blended degrees, certificates and courses each academic semester, as assigned by the AVP of Academic Technology.
The instructional designer will also create and delivery training workshops, courses and events for faculty, and provide drop-in support for faculty teaching online or using the campus LMS for face-to-face classes.
Types of regular activities include:
- Working collaboratively with faculty to design and develop online and blended courses that meet generally accepted standards and systems, such as Quality Matters
- Working mostly alone to build out online courses in the campus LMS and meet deadlines.
- Assisting faculty in selecting appropriate technologies beyond the LMS based on analysis of teaching objectives, learning outcomes, and accreditation standards where relevant.
- Creating and leading workshops, classes and training sessions for faculty.
- Providing individual and group consultations for faculty regarding online or blended course design and effective use of learning technologies.
- Developing online resource materials regarding trends, best practices and solutions for online and blended course design and delivery.
- Collaborating with other professional staff in order to continuously improve teaching and learning support for faculty.
- Working on special projects as needed by the AVP of Academic Technology.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.Qualifications:
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in instructional design, educational technology, or a related field, and two years of related work experience. Online course design and development experience in a not-for-profit higher education setting. Experience with a variety of instructional technologies including learning management systems, web conferencing, collaboration, and lecture capture. Experience developing and delivering training sessions, both face-to-face and online. Any equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
Preferred qualifications: Master’s degree and experience with the Canvas learning management system. Ability to conduct reviews of existing blended/online courses using Quality Matters rubric or another assessment tool. Completion of Quality Matters or other similar certification. Experience designing instructional materials and media that meet ADA/accessibility standards. Teaching experience in a higher education setting. Knowledge of academic structures and values. Passion and energy for the mission of the STELAR Center.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas (UST), Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at UST”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
UST is an Equal Opportunity EmployerSpecial Instructions to Candidates:
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.
Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to give a short walk-though of an online course they developed, and also do a 20 minute training demonstration on a topic related to instructional design.