Lead Engineer - Monitoring
We are the Monitoring product team that is developing innovative ways to enable operational visibility at Target.Product teams across all of Target use our monitoring offerings to ensure Target's technology products enable a delightful guest experience.We are looking for a highly creative and motivated individual who can both lead and implement, is eager to learn, and wants to help build the culture, practice, and craft of monitoring, Agile, and DevOps across Target. The keys to success in this position are having an eagerness to learn, a desire to share learnings/successes/failures, deep engineering expertise, a courageous & innovative approach to problem solving, and passion for working in a team first environment.
Here's a smattering of approaches important to us, and the technologies we use:
- Everything we do is “as-code” in version control. We don't like clicking buttons or doing things manually.
- All changes go through a pull-request process, so you'll always have a way to thumbs up or down things you catch.
- Everything should have test cases and go through a continuous integration process
- Some technologies which are critical to the work we do: the elastic stack, Sensu, InfluxDB, Grafana, GitHub, Drone, Artifactory, Chef, OpenStack, Terraform, Kafka, PagerDuty, Jenkins
Target's Monitoring Team Wants Your Help To:
- Design and implement enhancements to our monitoring product offerings leveraging technologies such as the elastic stack and Sensu
- Design and implement monitors and dashboards of the monitoring product #eatyourowndogfood
- Design and implement enhancements to our continuous deployment pipeline using GitHub, Drone, Jenkins, Artifactory, Chef and Spinnaker
- Design and implement a monitoring product that works seamlessly across cloud, on premise, and distributed environments
- Coach product teams on how to apply monitoring offerings within their tech stacks so that they gain operational visibility to the health and performance of their product.
- Help drive adoption of new technologies within the team and across Target
- Continuously improve #allthethings
- Evangelize an Agile and DevOps mindset within Target
- Create new and contribute to existing open source projects
- Experience building and deploying scalable infrastructure components using infrastructure as code practices
- Experience with RESTful interfaces
- Version control experience, preferably with Git
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements
- Experience with Linux or Unix operating systems including Unix shell and scripting
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment
- Previous contributions to open source projects
- Experience building APIs
- Familiarity with containers
- Experience integrating automated performance tests and monitoring solutions with a continuous integration and continuous deployment pipeline
- BA/BS or equivalent experience
- 7-9 years total work experience
- Has in-depth knowledge of state-of-the art engineering technical approaches in design, build, testing, debugging problems as required by domain
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education