The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Sous Chef position within Dining Services.
The culinary Sous Chef position assists the Chef with production of all catered event food selections and retail action stations including the Comfort Food Zone. Works alongside the Chef on menu development and supervision of all cooks and dish personal. The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Chef in utilizing proper cooking methods, i.e. fry, grill, saute, recipe and service etc. Ensures that all food is appropriately sauced and garnished, arranged in service pan in an organized and appealing manner and that health codes are followed on proper temperatures.
- The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Chef in preparation, cooking and serving all catered functions. Supervision of all cooks and dishwashers along with assisting Food For Thought retail action stations during lunch and dinner. To complete advance prep work for next day service of the Comfort Food Zone.
- The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting the Chef in utilizing proper cooking methods, i.e. fry, grill, saute, recipe and service etc. Ensures that all food is appropriately sauced and garnished, arranged in service pans in an organized and appealing manner, and that we follow the health codes on proper temperatures.
- Works with the Chef in utilizing food items, batch cooking in order to keep costs in line with revenue projections.
- This position is also responsible for assisting the Chef with training cooks, developing up to date job profiles and coach culinary staff during the year. To continue communicating with staff regarding their performance, so that it can be in line with goals of the department.
- To work with the Chef reviewing catering menu’s and retail operations and develop recipes and new trend setting menu items.
- To work with the Chef on following the Department of Health codes and regulations. Instructing and training culinary staff in the proper cleaning methods. To stay current with Serve Safe certification.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.Qualifications:
Minimum Qualifications: High school graduation or the equivalent and five (5) years of experience as a Sous chef in a Hotel, University, Resort or comparable institutional setting. Must possess a valid Serv Safe certificate.
Knowledge of: Principles and practices of employee supervision, including selection, work planning, organization, performance review and evaluation, and employee training and discipline; principles, methods and equipment used in high volume meal preparation in an institutional setting; nutritional and menu planning guidelines, including state and federal regulations; inventory control and record keeping principles and practices; safe work practices and sanitation related to food preparation and service; principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment; Menu, recipe, purchasing/receiving, pre-cost, financial and fiscal practices; recipe development.
Skill in: Planning, organizing, supervising, reviewing and evaluating the work of others; instructing others in work procedures; planning, overseeing and preparing meals in a large scale, institutional setting; ordering and inventorying food and supplies; preparing nutritious and appealing menus in accordance with established guidelines and budgetary constraints; operating, cleaning and performing minor maintenance to large institutional food preparation and cooking equipment; making accurate arithmetic calculations; reading, understanding and following recipes and oral and written directions; establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work; developing effective work teams and motivating individuals to meet goals and objectives and provide customer services in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at St. Thomas”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
Special Instructions to Candidates:
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.