Actuarial Analyst - FT (WC Insurance on Actuary Exam Track)
SFM -- The Work Comp Experts. We’re more than just insurance!
…Ideas... …Innovation... …Imagination…
Since 1983, SFM’s mission has been to be the workers’ compensation partner of choice for agents, employers, and their workers. While we’ve expanded to over 14,000 customers in the Midwest, and have grown our offerings to include vocational rehab, safe patient handling, loss prevention, medical services (and more!), our focus continues to be unrivaled customer service, injury prevention, and results.
As an Actuarial Analyst at SFM you’ll assist with executing analyses and reporting on reserve levels, reinsurance, ratemaking, financial projections, and claim calculations. The role interfaces with the Company’s Actuaries to provide data and perform periodic reviews of loss and expense reserves, projections, reconciliations and related presentations. This role assists in the development and implementation of analytic solutions to track and effectively manage risk for business processes.
- Assists by providing in-house financial loss and expense reserve calculations.
- Assists in analysis of reinsurance contracts and retention selections.
- Conducts reviews of rating components for insurance rates, procedures and plans. Monitors pricing including loss sensitive and dividend plans, making recommendations for changes when appropriate.
- Assists in financial projections, including but not limited to accounting and budgeting for frequency, severity, audit, expense and annual statement.
- Provides Claims Technical and Legal with claim projections for case reserve, settlement and interest purposes.
- Seeks innovative business uses for internal and external data. Stays apprised, explores and implements evolving actuarial/statistical methodologies and financial models where appropriate.
--We’re looking for--
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, economics, or related quantitative field.
- On the Actuarial exam track, having passed two (2) exams.
- One (1) to three (3) years of experience in the insurance industry (property/casualty, helpful).
- Strong analytical, financial analysis, & problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of data warehousing principles & ability to apply knowledge to extract meaningful data.
- Advanced with formulas, calculations, charts, & graphs, preferably in MS Excel & Word.
- Basic knowledge of workers’ compensation laws, regulatory procedures, & statistical reporting requirements.
- Basic understanding of underwriting premises.
- Ability to create unique solutions to complex problems, resourceful, strong organizational & multi-tasking skills.
- Sound judgment and decision making capabilities.
- Exemplary customer service skills with ability to converse with those having a wide range of insurance and statistical knowledge.
- Strong oral & written communication, including presentation experience.
- VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) and/or other coding experience (e.g. SAS or SQL), helpful.
--Exciting & rewarding--
SFM was named a MN Top Workplace in 2015 and it’s not just because we offer a competitive salary and comprehensive insurance plans. We want our employees to feel proud, at home, and appreciated! Here are just SOME ways we show it:
- Relaxed, professional environment - BE YOURSELF
- Traditional -&- Roth 401(k) retirement plans with employer MATCH
- Charitable giving with employer MATCH
- PAID day to volunteer in the community
- SFM Foundation scholarship program
- Career mentor -&- development programs
- Company training -&- education reimbursement
- Wellness -&- safety programs
- FREE ON-SITE fitness center
- ON-SITE café -&- sick, new mother, -&- child care rooms
- FREE employee assistant plan (EAP)
- PAID holidays -&- leaves
- FREE short -&- long-term disability -&- life insurance
- College savings, adoption assistance, -&- savings bonds
- Pre-paid legal -&- identity theft protection
- Auto -&- homeowner’s insurance DISCOUNTS
- MERSC, Verizon, -&- gym membership DISCOUNTS
- Voluntary cancer, accident, -&- critical illness insurances
- Shortened workweek for WORK-LIFE BALANCE
- Alternative schedules -&- flexible hours
- FREE parking
- And MORE!
**This role also offers compensation for passing each exam and for attaining professional Actuarial credentials**
- Click here to APPLY: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/SFM1001/JobBoard/ec93f271-092a-42be-b512-d3f64f8ab527 -&- Find out why SFM employees have stuck around for 30+ years!
- For more information, Check Us Out @ www.sfmic.com/careers -or- https://www.youtube.com/user/SFMcompanies!
NOTE: Please apply directly on our website. Emailed resumes will not be accepted.
If you feel any of your responses to the online profile or application will reveal your protected classification(s), do not provide that information. Do not provide high school dates of attendance or graduation. The online application and profile allow you to upload a resume/cover letter instead of manually entering all of your information.
If you need assistance during the application or interview process due to a disability, please contact Human Resources at (952) 838-2083 so accommodations may be discussed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SFM Mutual Insurance Company and each of its parent companies, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital, familial, or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected classification.
SFM Companies, EEO/AA Employers