Math Specialist (Dougherty Family College)
7 days left
- Employment Status
- Part Time
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Math Specialist within the Dougherty Family College.
The Dougherty Family College is the newest college of the University of St. Thomas, opening in the fall of 2017 on the downtown Minneapolis campus. Offering an associate degree in liberal arts, the college's curriculum will be rigorous and provide graduates with a seamless transition to public or private institutions should they decide to pursue a bachelor's degree. Students will receive mentoring from St. Thomas faculty, participate in paid internships and enjoy the benefits of being part of the state's largest private university. For more information about the Dougherty Family College, please explore the website HERE.
The Math Specialist will design and coordinate culturally responsive academic support for students in their first-level college math courses, (e.g., Finite Mathematics and Pre-Calculus); hire and train peer math mentors; collaborate with math faculty to provide in-class support to students; and collaborate on program assessment. The incumbent should have a record of success in college-level teaching, tutoring, or working in a math resource center, and a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion. In addition to teaching, mentoring, advising, and coaching, the math specialist is expected to work with students during the August summer enrichment program, and perform other responsibilities related to college program development and assessment.
This is an 11-month, 0.92 FTE non-faculty/non-tenure position.
- Teaching/Tutoring: Provide teaching assistance or tutoring in a classroom setting or math resource center.
- Convey the value of high expectations, student-teacher relationships, and home-school-community connections for students’ academic achievement.
- Employ teaching and tutoring best practices that foster successful learning communities reflective of their students' diverse cultures.
- Assist students with meaningful learning while promoting high academic performance.
- Collaborate with faculty on program assessment.
- Staff the Math Resource Center.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and Learning: Draw upon culturally responsive teaching and learning techniques to help ensure student success.
- Utilize critical and/or culturally responsive pedagogies in delivering teaching and tutoring.
- Draw upon and encourage understanding of cultural experiences, identities, manifestation of privilege and the dynamics these evoke in and outside of the classroom.
- Embrace self-reflection, value excellence through educational equity, and demonstrate a commitment to ongoing culturally responsive learning in a collaborative, collegial environment.
- Mentoring and Coaching: Provide intensive mentoring, advising, and coaching to students for completion and transfer purposes.
- Assist students with earning their associate of arts degrees.
- Prepare students with the solid educational foundation to successfully complete their bachelor’s degrees.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
This is an 11-month, 0.92 FTE, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.Qualifications:
Minimum Qualifications: Master’s degree in mathematics, statistics, calculus, or a related field, and three years of instruction or tutoring experience, preferably in a community college setting. An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills have been acquired may be substituted.
Knowledge of: Advanced knowledge of mathematical concepts to include statistics, algebra, mathematical modelling, probability, linear programming, differential equations, and calculus. An understanding of diverse backgrounds, learning styles, and challenges of community college students. The use of computer applications related to the work such as Microsoft Office, Blackboard, etc. Recordkeeping techniques. Principles and practices of training and providing work direction.
Skill in: Excellent teaching/tutoring skills. Excellent oral and written communications skills. Comfortable presenting complex information to student audiences. Flexibility to adapt to student needs and scheduling demands. Strong interpersonal skills exhibiting tact, patience, and courtesy.
Abilities: Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex, demanding environment. Ability to manage multiple priorities. Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action. Ability to encourage critical thinking, student success, and lifelong learning. Experience with culturally responsive or critical pedagogies. Experience with diverse students or diverse work settings. Ability to collaborate with faculty and non-faculty colleagues to ensure student success. Ability to communicate effectively and work with a broad range of diverse people.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good.
The University of St. Thomas is committed to the principles of diversity and inclusion, and the goals of affirmative action/equal opportunity. The University welcomes nominations and applications from a diverse applicant pool.
The University of St. Thomas, Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at St. Thomas”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
The University of St. Thomas is an Equal Opportunity Employer