Public Safety Dispatcher
The University of St. Thomas invites qualified candidates to apply for a Dispatcher position within Public Safety.
This position serves as the core communication and documentation point for the emergency procedures and response of the campus, and includes monitoring radios, multiple emergency and non-emergency phone lines, alarms, cameras, parking ramp usage, officer activity, and service requests. This position also serves as an information source and a first point of contact for faculty, staff, students, guests and members of the university, and the greater neighborhood community. This position deals directly with the public by phone, in person, through web applications and through emails. In this position, the employee must understand, analyze, synthesize and apply the elements of training, policies and procedures, to the wide variety of situations encountered in Dispatch; and be able to identify and use available resources, partnerships and tools to enhance the delivery of public safety services.
- Receive, interpret and prioritize calls for service and emergency response, and track all officer activity. Multi-task to handle radio traffic, multiple phone lines, walk-in traffic, alarms, parking ramp assists and emergency line calls, and document all activity in real time.
- Assist officers with making phone notifications to parking violators as requested. Look up parking permits, class schedules, trespass notices, contact information and other investigative information, as directed. Use R25 event listings, requests for service/access and other campus information resources to control access to meeting rooms, offices and classrooms. Monitor Simplex fire control panel, Dice accounts, Diebold door alarms, 911 data collector, McGann ramp computer, and all other alarm systems present in dispatch for 24-hour coverage.
- Identify and report phone line problems, including emergency call boxes, ramp phones, emergency and non-emergency phone lines and elevator phones. Troubleshoot parking issues with callers and control access to, and exit from, the parking facilities. Maintain, troubleshoot and report equipment malfunctions, and software problems. Work with backup systems or implement alternate procedures when primary systems fail.
- Review cameras to report issues and to track incidents as they occur.
- Review shift activity and assigned ICRs with the dispatcher going off duty, and review the dispatch briefing binder, Parking Details, and Patrol’s Daily Briefing Log at the start of each shift. Read department emails and the Daily Bulletin at the start of each shift, and keep email open to communication throughout shift. Debrief with supervisors following critical incidents. Attend dispatcher shift meetings and complete department training programs as directed.
- Obtain APCO Telecommunicator certification and participate in other training opportunities that arise throughout the year.
- Promote customer service to the campus and assist the UST community to utilize vehicle reservations, radios, contractor key cards and key sets, wheelchairs, traffic vests, or other items that the department may provide or facilitate as a service.
- Assist with UST ID Card door access encodings for students, staff and faculty
- Follow all specific duty requirements as outlined in the Dispatch operations manual and by department supervisors. Perform other duties and assistance as required.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position. The University of St. Thomas offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, long-term care, legal, and disability insurance coverages. Offerings also include retirement plans, flexible spending accounts, a health savings account, and an employee assistance program. The University provides tuition remission to its employees, spouses, and dependents. In addition, the University values a healthy work/life balance and has generous provisions for paid time off.Qualifications:
Minimum qualifications: High School diploma or the equivalent and one (1) year of radio dispatching experience.
Knowledge of: the University Mission Statement, radio operation and basic dispatching operations and techniques; codes and procedures related to the work; computer applications related to the work; business arithmetic; standard office practices, procedures, and equipment; record keeping principles and practices; positive customer service techniques.
Skill in: Multi-tasking, providing clear and accurate verbal and written information to the public and officers; operating a radio, computers and standard office equipment; interpreting applying and explaining applicable codes, procedures, policies and regulations; making accurate arithmetic calculations; maintaining accurate logs and records of the work ; working without close supervision in standard work situations; using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines; contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities; dealing successfully and positively with the public, in person, in writing and over the telephone, often where relations may be confrontational or strained.
Inspired by Catholic intellectual tradition, the University of St. Thomas educates students to be morally responsible leaders who think critically, act wisely, and work skillfully to advance the common good. The successful candidate will possess a commitment to the ideals of this mission statement.
In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with the University of St. Thomas requires successful completion of a background screening.
The University of St. Thomas (UST), Minnesota Human Resources Department advertises the official job listing on its website. If you are viewing this posting from a site other than “Jobs at UST”, the University assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of information.
UST is an Equal Opportunity EmployerSpecial Instructions to Candidates:
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume to their profile and copy/paste a cover letter into the application.