Director of Selections and Design
SUMMARY OBJECTIVE / POSITION OVERVIEW
Educate customers about products and options. See to it that they make selections by established deadlines and keep selection either within budget or document changes. Participate in architectural design process and detailing of same. Create standard options and update monthly for profit enhancement.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Evaluate design trends and recommend options to architect / JMS staff to suit the needs of targeted buyers.
2. Respect construction timelines as they pertain to options and selections. Schedule customer appointments accordingly.
3. Conduct design meetings with customers to review option selections. Provide professional advice on the types of materials and / or upgrades that are most appropriate. Stay very focused on respecting customer’s budgets and promptly document selections and change order on BuilderTREND.
4. Display samples and educate customers about natural characteristics and maintenance of products offered (features and benefits). Copy sales on all client communications.
5. Review any custom options with customers.
6. Document and communicate approved customers’ selections to sales, estimating and construction departments with selection sheets in BuilderTREND per outlined policy.
7. Attend meetings with project manager(s) and sales personnel to review status of construction dates.
8. Troubleshoot issues pertaining to constant improvement in product selections to feasibility of install and future potential service and warranty issues.
9. Attend industry trade shows, sales training and product knowledge seminars to maintain knowledge of building products and keep current on cutting edge emerging industry trends.
10. Respecting budgets – target designs and all client proposals to the budget.
11. Assist production in developing accurate standard specifications for each trade. Support policy regarding trade contractor agreement. Recommend to purchasing new relationships with trades committed to reducing costs and increasing quality results.
12. Maintain presentation aids for sales department to use at construction meetings – goal to sell more options and increase client satisfaction.
13. Stay current on innovative products, construction techniques and trends affecting the home building industry.
14. Leadership responsibility for all design plans (JMS Plan Library) and for all new models / specs. Create library on server.
15. Update existing stock plans to reflect feature and specifications changes, with an emphasis on value engineering and purchasing cost variance reduction. Maintain all standard plans in content and scope in a uniform format in JMS Plan Library.
16. Communicate any substantial plan updates or changes to Sales Manager.
17. Review of construction drawings. Make sure they incorporate fully coordinated design elements, fireplace, shower, beams, tile pattern, and layout; verify square footage.
18. Model homes: Finishing, staging, maintaining inventory, provide sales staff opportunities to sell inventory. Control inventory and create turn over for profit through sale of furnishings. Menu price all assets and maintain an inventory list by asset, price and location (possible bar codes).
19. Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- BA / BS degree – Design and A.S.I.D. designation.
- Minimum five years related experience and/or training; preferably in residential and / or institutional projects or equivalent combination of experience and education.