Litigation Legal Administrative Assistant
LINDQUIST & VENNUM, a large downtown Minneapolis law firm, has an opening for a Litigation Legal Administrative Assistant (LAA). The Litigation LAA will .perform a variety of litigation and administrative duties for timekeepers to whom assigned and other timekeepers on the team. Promotes positive relationships with clients and firm personnel, and assists with business development efforts. The hours will be 8:30 am – 5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
- Client & Matter Intake: Opens new files and enters complete and accurate conflict of interest data using client intake workflow system. Works with attorneys to assure information is accurate and complete. If another party is added to a matter (adverse or friendly), complete a supplemental conflict intake using the client workflow system. May also include drafting an engagement letter.
- Matter Management: Works with attorney to gain a basic understanding of the case. Creates an electronic filing system that is proficient and organized. Using firm guidelines, profiles documents, electronically stores emails, and manages the matter in electronic format. Efficiently searches for and retrieves records information in OTRM and understands where case files are stored. Prepares paper files for matters opened prior to March 1, 2015 to be closed and scanned. Assists attorney with reviewing quarterly destruction report.
- Document Management: Coordinates document production using Document Production department. Able to perform light edits when necessary using Microsoft Word and Styles. Experienced in hyperlinking documents.
- Scheduling: Utilizes Outlook for email and calendaring appointments. Arranges meetings and appointments as requested, including using Meeting Planner to reserve conference rooms and handle hospitality/facilities/IS needs. Makes travel arrangements for attorney. Assist with conference calls using Sonexis.
- Docketing: Establishes and dockets case deadlines and reminders using BEC Legal. Communicates key deadlines to timekeepers involved.
- Electronic Filing Systems: Skilled at state and federal e-filing, and utilizing PACER.
- Time and Billing: Enters, reviews and edits time in Aderant as necessary for timekeepers. Organizes, proofreads, edits, and processes pre-bills (using Aderant Pre-bill) and invoices in a timely manner. Works closely with the Accounting Department and understands proper accounting/billing terminology. Assists attorneys with electronic billing when needed. Skilled at using Aderant inquiry to look up billing statistics.
- Business Development: Assists attorney with business development needs, including coordinating efforts with marketing, contacting prospective and current clients to set up meetings, and updating contact information and meetings/activities in InterAction.
- Client Relationship Management: Responds promptly to client needs and maintains a positive client relationship. Communicates in a professional manner with clients via email and telephone. Receives clients and visitors, maintains good public relations with clients and observes confidentiality of attorney-client relationship.
- Team Player: Works effectively as a member of a team, providing coverage for additional timekeepers as necessary. Communicates professionally and respectfully with others in the Firm, court personnel and staff from opposing law firms.
- CLE Administration: Manages registration and tracking for attorney CLE credits.
- Administrative Support: Distributes incoming mail according to timekeeper specification and mails packages using the online FedEx system when necessary. Screens and routes telephone calls as requested. Proficient at finding information and doing research using the internet and internet based software.
Other Job Responsibilities: Other duties as assigned in relation to the Litigation Legal Administrative Assistant position.
- Education / Language:
- Post-secondary education in legal secretary/legal administrative assistant studies or equivalent combination of work experience and education preferred.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and the ability to understand client billing required.
- Able to speak and write English proficiently.
- Software Proficiency:
- Workflow based systems – perform all tasks related to client intake, personal reimbursements, write-offs and write downs.
- OpenText e-Docs document management system – create, find, retrieve, save and profile documents. Hyperlinking indexes as necessary.
- Microsoft Outlook – manage email, calendars and contacts.
- Aderant and E-billing – enter and review time, organize, proofread, edit and process pre-bills and invoices in Aderant. Able to use Aderant Inquiry to look up basic statistics related to timekeepers and clients. May be required to process invoices using electronic billing software.
- Microsoft Word – advanced knowledge of creating and editing routine law office correspondence and documents relating to legal matters. Possesses strong language skills (e.g. punctuation, grammar, spelling) and is able to proof documents. Familiar with Table of Contents, Table of Authorities (for litigation LAAs), Styles and Track Changes. Able to compare documents using Workshare.
- Microsoft Excel – basic knowledge in creating and editing documents, including the ability to use formulas.
- OTRM – look up information regarding case files, request files when needed and understand where electronic and paper files are stored.
- Nuance – able to manipulate documents and convert a pdf to a Word document.
- Internet based systems – research information on the internet and use internet based software, including PACER.
- InterAction – enter in “business card” details, promote contacts, assign contacts to marketing lists, and track meetings/activities so the information can be used for business development.
- Practice group specific software – ability to utilize any practice group specific software as needed by the attorneys.
- Electronic filings – familiar with State, Federal, and Court of Appeals electronic filings.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Ability to take the initiative and help timekeepers organize and manage their work. Possesses strong time management skills. Must be flexible and able to work under pressure in a constantly changing environment, handling varying workloads and prioritizing tasks in order to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, requires excellent interpersonal skills with clients and firm personnel at all levels. Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in a professional manner.
- Willing to take the initiative to acquire further skills as necessary.
- Experienced in providing excellent customer service to firm personnel at all levels and keeping a professional, positive and helpful attitude in all circumstances.
- Must be able to work with confidential issues in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate reliability through adherence to work schedule and attendance.
Lindquist offers a competitive salary and benefits package. Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and salary requirements to email@example.com. No agency emails or phone calls please. An AA/EEO Employer.
Apply for Litigation Legal Administrative Assistant
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly