Community Services Coordinator
Community Services Coordinator
Status: Part-time regular position, non-exempt
Salary: Starts at $28.16 - $33.18 per hour
Benefits: Qualifies for part-time benefits date of hire (medical insurance, pro-rated holidays, pro-rated PTO)
Location: Eden Prairie Shopping Center, Lower Level
Hours: 30 hours/week; standard business hours (8 am – 4:30 pm); hours vary based on business need, requires flexibility for evenings and weekends
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Housing & Community Services Manager
Community Development Department
The Community Development Department is comprised of Planning, Assessing, Economic Development, and Housing and Community Services. This department supports the long-term vitality of the City through city-wide land use planning, development review activities, maintaining a positive environment for business, addressing housing and community service needs, and enhancing revenue generation through responsible property valuations.
The Community Services Coordinator ensures that the residents of Eden Prairie have appropriate, accessible, effective community services available to them. This position serves as a resource to other employee groups, management and elected officials to further their understanding of the diverse cultural population in Eden Prairie. The primary position responsibilities and areas of impact are:
- Grant manager of community services fund, which includes preparing the application timeline, the selection process, monitoring the spending trends and performance to ensure compliance with city’s expectations.
- Develops opportunities for collaboration among the city funded – and non-funded social service providers.
- Manages human services provided through partner organizations that work collaboratively with the Housing and Community Services Office.
- Advocates/mediates for clients in difficult situations.
- Serves as the point of contact for inquiries regarding community service providers and vendors in Eden Prairie.
- Coordinates quarterly meeting/training of property managers, police and fire representatives
- Prepare the annual apartment guide
- Works with Fire Department to track and trend calls for service.
- Promotes collaborations among service providers and property managers.
- Helps resolve conflicts between tenants and property manager
Community Outreach and Engagement
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships within the religious community, business community and school district; Develops educational material/presentations on issues that impact the quality of life in the community; Monitors changing community trends and conducts research to understand what programs and resources are needed to manage the changes.
- Facilitates network building and collaboration between the religious community, landlords/housing managers, government and employers; Develops opportunities for intentional engagement of international community.
- Manages Housing and Community Services webpages
- Serves as liaison to Human Rights and Diversity Commission
- Supports anti-homeless initiatives as an Action Council Member of Suburban Host Homes.
While these areas are the primary focus of the position, we believe strongly in teamwork and employees may be called upon to perform a variety of duties in their roles with the City.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in social work, political science, communication studies or related field required.
Work Experience: Minimum of three to five years in Social Service program development/implementation, community engagement, or service delivery. Grant management and previous public sector experience preferred.
Technical Skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and strong typing skills required.
Physical and Mental Requirements: Physical effort is light for the majority of work with lifting or carrying limited to 25 pounds intermittently. Setting up and taking down chairs and tables for meetings occurs monthly. There are routine weekly visits to City Departments and other service providers, all of which are in other areas of the city. There is a need to make presentations, which involves public speaking in front of City leaders and community partners. Report preparation and writing at times requires extended use of a keyboard and the ability to operate laptops and projectors. Work interruptions are frequent, with language and cultural barriers present. The noise and activity levels vary throughout the week.
Working Conditions: This is a normal working environment; however this office is a remote site, not physically connected to the City Offices. This is a leased space with usage compliance requirements enforced by the property owner. Driving or riding is required to attend meetings, drop off and retrieve mail at the City Offices and attend other public events.
City of Eden Prairie Expectations
All employees are expected to contribute to the success of our organization by demonstrating the shared expectations: Customer Focus, Flexibility, Initiative, Results Orientation, Public Stewardship, and Teamwork.
Position Specific Expectations
Communication: Able to convey a message to get a point across; communicates in a clear and concise manner; able to write clearly and succinctly; tailors message to a variety of communication settings and styles.
Attention to Detail: Able to find errors in work and solve problems; anticipates issues and performs at a high level of accuracy; sets up systems to ensure errors are not repeated.
Accountability: Follows through on commitments; focuses on appropriate tasks throughout the shift; takes responsibilities for actions both as an individual and on behalf of the organization; actions and words are in sync; follows all policies and procedures; maintains confidentiality; is prepared and punctual to all scheduled shifts.
Composure: Exhibits self-confidence and asserts self appropriately in several different situations; maintains professionalism while under pressure; can handle stress; energized by tough challenges.
Organization: Ability to coordinate several activities, responsibilities, and tasks simultaneously in a polite and professional manner; prioritizes what needs to get done; keeps things neat and orderly; utilizes tools for efficiency; factors several considerations when planning; establishes methods to ensure routine tasks are completed.
Creativity: Effective at generating ideas relative to the organization’s goals; able to build off the ideas of others in new and different ways; uses innovative ways to complete tasks and responsibilities.
City of Eden Prairie Pre-employment Process
The City of Eden Prairie conducts the following pre-employment checks for the Community Services & Engagement Coordinator position.
- Professional Reference Checks
- Criminal History Check
- Work History Verification
All final candidates must successfully complete and pass the pre-employment process before their first day of employment.
To apply, please go to www.edenprairie.org and click on the employment tab on the top of the page.