Museum Educator –Historic Site Guide (Interpreter I) – Oliver H. Kelley Farm
#1005 Museum Educator –Historic Site Guide (Interpreter I) – Oliver H. Kelley Farm
OPEN TO: This job is open to all applicants.
LOCATION: Oliver H. Kelley Farm, 15788 Kelley Farm Road, Elk River, MN 55330
SALARY: $13.73 hourly minimum
STATUS & HOURS: Part-time, regular (624 annual hours) position. Hours average 15 - 20 weekly hours from April to October. Weekly hours vary according to seasonal site needs.
CLASSIFICATION: 55L Services
HIRING MANAGER: Program Supervisor
POSTING DATE: January 17, 2017
DEADLINE DATE: Application deadline date has been extended thru February 15, 2017.
SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS: REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION.
DESCRIPTION: The Minnesota Historical Society (MNHS) seeks applicants for a Historic Site Guide (Interpreter I) to engage, educate and entertain visitors through interpretive programming, to provide customer service and to assist in the daily operations of the Oliver H. Kelley Farm.
SUMMARY OF WORK: 1) provide interpretive services using a variety of interpretive and teaching techniques; 2) receive, welcome, and orient visitors to the historic site grounds and facility; 3) assist in the daily operations of the farm site and its programs; 4) study site related materials to enhance the delivery of the site’s interpretive program; 5) utilize skill sets to effectively engage visitors and complete domestic activities; and 6) assist with the maintenance and protection of the site buildings, grounds, collections and clothing.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Experience in teaching, museum or natural history interpretation, or theater.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks related to gardening, agriculture and horticulture in outdoor programming areas in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability and flexibility to work a varied schedule of three - five consecutive days/week, including weekdays, weekends (Saturday/Sunday) and holidays. The bulk of the hours are scheduled between March 16 and Nov. 15.
- College course work in history, education, agriculture, communications or a related field.
- Two years experience and knowledge of teaching, museum interpretation or public speaking.
- Experience with retail sales, phone, and receptionist work.
- Knowledge of the history of the Kelley Family, the Grange, and Minnesota rural life 1850-1876.
- Knowledge of and experience with vegetable gardening.
- Knowledge of and experience with farm animals such as hogs, cattle and sheep.
- Knowledge of and experience with natural history interpretation.
- Experience working with a diverse audience of varying cultural backgrounds, ages and abilities.
TO APPLY: Submit MNHS Application for Employment, (available at www.mnhs.org/jobs), cover letter, resume, and if applicable, any supplemental forms.
Please click on the "Apply now" button to be easily directed to the website.