Sr Development Manager
JOIN US AS A SENIOR REAL ESTATE DEVELOPMENT MANAGER Provide design and development expertise during site selection, due diligence, entitlement, acquisition and development of new store sites. Collaborate with and manage coordination of internal and external partners to determine optimal scope, schedule and budget of project while managing financial risk during the development process. As needed, provide technical guidance on existing store initiatives affecting Target's real estate and act as a primary business representative and negotiator for real estate initiatives and administration. Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Senior Real Estate Development Manager, you'll take the lead as you…
- Evaluate, review and resolve physical, regulatory, and schedule constraints impacting the development of Target's new store and existing store real estate:
- Prepare or directs preparation of site plans to maximize Target's location in a development and to optimize physical attributes necessary for maximum store performance, e.g., parking, signage and access.
- Selects, hires, and manages outside consultants to prepare capital project request or lease data, and site construction documents consistent with Target's new store and existing store requirements.
- Analyzes data, determines real estate project feasibility and provides creative solutions to development or redevelopment constraints.
- Directs meetings involving cross-functional teams to prepare scopes, schedules and site development budgets for real estate projects.
- Negotiate relevant aspects of site development agreements or tenant improvement work letters.
- Review, negotiate and approve all governmental conditions of approval set forth in land use approvals, which impact the land development of Target sites. Negotiates, communicates and persuades (delivers public presentations to) community groups and public officials in support of Target Corporation developments, tenancies, and site modifications.
- Assist in the real estate transaction closings by developing or providing required legal exhibits, legal descriptions and development schedules.
- Develop and maintains cooperative working relations with governmental agencies, major civil engineering firms, shopping center developers/landlords and retail real estate counterparts.
- Keeps abreast of current and proposed governmental regulations impacting retail real estate development.
- Depending on Real Estate department needs, this role may include:
- Managing Target's response to, and acting as lead negotiator for, eminent domain proceedings;
- Monitoring ongoing needs of existing real estate assets, such as additional expansion space, signage, parking, lease renewals, and impacts of 3rd party (e.g. landlord or developer) activities to ensure Target is maximizing the return of real estate assets
- Enforce the terms and conditions of all real estate agreements
- Work with internal partners to plan, direct, or coordinate selling, leasing or governance activities of Target's real estate
- Work closely with property managers to provide direction, interpretation and/or oversight of business plans, budgets, forecasts, governing documents, leases, analysis and/or approvals;
- Manage coordination of post-acquisition activities and integration of asset into Target's real estate portfolio
- Develop expertise in all markets located within assigned geographic region, including competition activity, site knowledge and demographic changes
- Four -year college degree in Civil Engineering, Architecture or Landscape Architecture
- 5-10 years of real estate experience in development manager roles with a preference for retail
- In-depth knowledge of property development process
- Strong negotiation, critical thinking and communication and presentation skills
- Professional knowledge and competency with basic real estate contract principles and terminology
- Ability to travel (up to 30%) to meet with, deliver in-person presentations and to successfully build and maintain relationships with the external development community and government officials
- Familiarity with computer business applications including Microsoft Office Suite