System and Network Administrator (Linux) - Information Technology Services
St. Catherine University, St. Paul campus, invites applications for the full time position of System and Network Administrator (Linux) in the department of Information Technology Services.
This systems integration and maintenance position performs RedHat Enterprise systems administration within a VMware environment to include servers, SAN storage and network management while delivering reliable, secure, and agile server services and network services to our multi campus environment. The Network Administrator works across departmental and managerial boundaries to help design, implement, analyze, monitor, specify and recommend technologies, and services, by the use of hardware and software throughout the University.
Working under the technical supervision of Lead Administrators, this position is responsible for building and maintaining secure Linux systems in standalone and virtual environments with SAN storage and backup and disaster recovery services. The individual should possess full understanding of LAN, WLAN and WAN topologies in IPv4 and IPv6 environments and will work in collaboration and coordination with the other department support teams. This would include but not limited to security, services deployment, performance tuning, failover, storage, and recovery of systems.
The incumbent will provide weekly and monthly reporting, attend meetings as a technical advisor, provide planning and design recommendations for review and supervisory approval, and other duties as assigned. Having excellent time management skills in a demanding environment is necessary. This technical position holds a key resource role for supporting the core University infrastructure both during the day and on an on-call basis. This position provides 24X7 on call support.
Required Position Qualifications:
• Practical experience building and managing RedHat and/or CentOS systems/networks, preferably in an academic setting. This requires an appropriate technical degree in the computer sciences and/or appropriate Linux training / certification. Bachelor degree in a technical discipline plus three years' experience supporting a production IT environment preferred.
• Experience with automation, monitoring and analytical tools like Puppet, Nagios and Splunk to enhance productivity and security in a DevOps environment.
• An in-depth knowledge of servers, networks, middleware and desktops including backup/restoration services. This includes highly virtualized environments using VMware technologies (ESXi, vSphere).
• Demonstrated excellent problem solving skills; Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• The successful candidate must have the ability to respond respectfully and effectively to people of all cultures, in a manner that affirms the worth and preserves the dignity of individuals, families and communities.
Preferred Position Qualifications:
• Bachelor degree in a technical discipline plus three years' experience supporting a production IT environment.
• Familiarity with SSO authentication protocols and methodologies, including CAS, Shibboleth and SAML 2.0.
• One or more RedHat Linux certification levels (RHCSA, RHCE, RHCA, RHCVA, etc.)
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
EEO/AA/Drug Free Workplace Employer, Tobacco-Free Campuses
Our University is a proud member of the Upper Midwest HERC and is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org