AV Systems Engineer
Under limited supervision, the AV Systems Engineer will be responsible for conceptualizing, designing, and commissioning audio visual systems for University classrooms, conference rooms, seminar rooms and various other venues on campus. The primary responsibility is to engage University administrators/departments requesting audio-visual resources for teaching, learning spaces, research, and administrative spaces, as well as new building construction and renovation projects.
The position will be responsible and oversee all aspects of the AV project lifecycle, including scope development, systems infrastructure, signal diagrams, system details, project estimates and other components of the AV project
Candidate will develop, improve and promote both point-of-service and on-line documentation. The position will serve as the tier-3 escalation point for troubleshooting complex AV systems, AV technical support, and videoconferencing support in University spaces to identify root causes. Responsibility also includes client consulting and arranging for the appropriate support resources as needed.
Candidate must have clear skills in teamwork. Strong interpersonal communication skills related to providing work direction, technical guidance, and customer service are required.
Please note: Candidate will be required to visit various building, room or construction project sites. Candidate must be able to climb a ladder to a height of 12 feet. Must be able to carry heavy hardware such as computers, testing equipment, projectors, etc. In addition to the physical requirements, there will be extended sedentary work requirements. Must be open to working the occasional evening and/or Saturday.
1. Conceptualize, design and commission audio visual systems (70%)
- This position will serve the role as one of the key persons to deploy campus wide AV solutions.
- Planning and executing all stages of the AV project cycle.
- Manage and monitor multiple projects to meet deadlines, standards, and budgets.
- Ability to read architectural, electrical and technology drawings.
- Serve as an AV consultant and engineer for various departments and campus wide AV deployments. Design and engineer contemporary AV systems based on client input and adhering to University standards for AV design.
- Work with building architects, general contractors, furniture vendors, tradesmen, AV vendors, and internal University teams to coordinate successful project implementations.
- Responsible for ensuring that completed projects meet and perform to scope of designed projects, and meet client expectations on final operation and performance.
- Performs new technology research, keep management informed on market trends and make technology recommendations
2. Lead and direct personnel and resources (20%)
- Works closely with the internal AV support teams to ensure project awareness, design standards and support requirements are met on all implementations.
- Responsible for the basic training and orientation of AV support teams for any supported technology enhanced classroom or videoconferencing facility.
3. Other duties as assigned (10%)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of experience.
- Three years related professional experience designing AV systems and managing complex AV projects.
- Three years demonstrated experience with designing for and supporting AMX control systems and like equipment (or comparable).
- Ability to effectively communicate to summarize activities and coordinate planned activities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks/projects while maintaining focus and understanding which tasks/projects have been assigned priority
- Customer Service focused
- Must be licensed or registered as a Power Limited Technician in the State of Minnesota
- 5+ years of professional experience of AV project management
- 5+ years related professional experience in the AV industry and AV systems support
- 5+ years of in-depth experience with AMX control systems – troubleshooting, diagnostics and problem resolution
- Preferred certifications: CTS Certification – CTS, CTS-D, CTS-I; AMX Certifications; Cisco Certifications; Project Management Certifications
- Demonstrated knowledge of video conferencing systems (H.323 and software-based systems such as Google Hangouts, WebEx, GoToMeeting), lecture capture and web conferencing.
- Experience with audio DSP programming (Biamp, Polycom, BSS)
- Experience with wireless presentation systems and interactive technologies
- Experience with Dante audio configuration and protocols
- Experience working in a higher education environment
- Experience with client management, coordinating technology resources and AV support
- Experience creating AV system drawings using AutoCAD
- Ability to maintain respectful and effective working relationships with a variety of parties throughout the University community.
- Highly successful problem assessment and solution implementation under high pressure conditions
- Work well in team setting
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there. Please attach a resume and cover letter to your online application. If not included on your application, please attach a list of three professional references, and indicate your Power Limited Technician registration or license number in your letter or resume.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.