Engineering Technical Coach
JOIN US AS AN ENGINEERING TECHNICAL COACH
Target is one of the world's most recognized brands and one of America's leading retailers. But behind the brand our guests love, is a culture of continual innovation - and right now, we are up to big things. The Target Technology Team is driving a transformation in retail, one that will move us from “brick-and-mortar and online” to “bricks-and-mortar and everywhere else.” Our goal is to deliver Target's unique “Expect More. Pay Less.” promise to guests wherever and whenever they shop, today and tomorrow: in-store, online, on tablets and mobile phones, and in the retail channels of the future.
You can be a part of developing and influencing new services that power all sales channels at Target by transforming the way teams deliver value to our customers through the means of teaching, mentoring, and coaching. You'll help elevate the efficiency and effectiveness of the Target technology teams by educating teams on Agile, Lean, AppDev and DevOps principles and practices across a variety of applications, platforms and environments. You'll put your skills, experience and passion to work in an innovative environment where success is rewarded and be a part of the industry known Target Dojo team!http://target.github.io/devops/the-dojo
We are looking for highly motivated engineering professionals who can empathize with individuals and teams and raise their development and problem solving skills. Individuals in this role will have opportunities to gain a large breadth of knowledge by working with a variety of teams across the entire IT organization and contribute to industry leading technologies, such as Spinnaker, Kubernetes, Angular, React, and more!
As an engineer, you are a software developer with a passion for teaching. You will contribute to great products and team learning - ready to do whatever it takes to help teams while also building and packaging cutting edge technologies for enterprise wide consumption. You have good problem solving skills. You love keeping abreast of the latest industry trends and use them to help you and those around you innovate. You have leadership qualities, good judgment, clear communication skills.
- Coach teams on Agile, Lean, AppDev and DevOps principles and practices
- Apply your knowledge and experience with developing frontend and/or backend, including RESTful API development
- Guide teams on the appropriate frameworks such as Angular, React, Spring, Ratpack, or Sinatra
- Promote Agile Software Development practices including SCRUM, Extreme Programming (XP), or Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Work closely with other coaches/engineers and partners to ensure development meets Target technology direction
- Research related products and make necessary software recommendations
- Innovate constantly and maintain the technical edge
- 5+ years of software development experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production
- Working experience with building high performing web based applications using Java/spring framework.
- Strong problem solving and thought partnership skills
- Strong relationship and communication skills
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements
- Ability to effectively teach and mentor teams and individuals
- Able to articulate and support your opinions/stance, but also able to listen and be flexible
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- Working with test-driven development and software test automation
- Working experience with building and consuming RESTful services and in-memory caching technology
- Working experience with building applications in support of a microservices architecture
- Understanding and ability to work with Cloud hosting platforms such as Openstack, AWS, GCP, Azure, etc
- Working experience with Continuous Integration tools like Jenkins, TravisCI, Drone, or similar technologies
- Knowledge of object relational mapping tools