The System Administrator’s role is to manage and tune in-house computer software systems and network connections to ensure high levels of availability and security of the supported business applications. Qualifying candidates should have a strong background in networking and security.
This is a partial Telework (work from home) position and access to high speed internet and a home office space is required. Candidates must live within 60 minutes of our Plymouth, MN office and the Eden Prairie, MN datacenter.
This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure system provisioning and maintenance that is consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements. In addition to strategic planning and execution, the Senior System Administrator is responsible for supporting user equipment/software requests and managing Help Desk issues.
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Coordinate with network engineering, business application, and database administration functions to implement desktop and server systems that utilize industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Deploy workstations, servers, printers, scanners, firewalls, encryption systems, and all host security systems.
Help Desk & Equipment
- Address equipment, infrastructure, etc. Help Desk issues reported.
- Setup and distribute user equipment.
- Equipment repair and maintenance.
- Manage all operating systems and end-user software.
- Manage communications (Exchange) and connection solutions, including workstation connectivity, local area networks, company Web site, intranet, and Internet applications.
- Ensure the integrity and security of enterprise data on host computers, multiple databases, and during data transfer in accordance to business needs and industry best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Manage input/output fleet, including printers and scanners.
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices regarding privacy, security, and regulatory compliance.
- Perform network and security audits.
- Perform and test routine system backups and restores.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on servers, input/output fleet, and workstations. Escalate incidents as necessary.
- Practice network asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Support application development teams throughout project lifecycle.
- Analyze system, server, application, network, and input/output device performance.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of systems software procurement and development efforts.
- Create required reports in response to business user needs.
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services.
- Develop, document, and maintain policies, procedures and associated training plans for system administration and appropriate use.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to members of the team.
Formal Education & Certification
- College diploma, university degree or certification in the field of computer science and/or 3 to 7 years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- Working technical knowledge of PC and platform operating systems, including windows XP, 2003, 2008, 2008r2, 2012.
- Strong networking (routing/switching/Firewall/VPN/Load Balancing/etc), performance and system status monitoring, SAN/NAS/NetApp, VOiP.
- Extensive application support experience with MSOffice, Exchange 2010, Exchange 2016, MSSql2008+, VmWare ESX, Citrix 7.x PS/Xenapp/PVS, Solarwinds NPM/APM, Commvault Simpana, Veeam Backup & Replications, McAfee anti-virus/malware
- Strong technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards, including [Active Directory, DNS, IIS, DHCP, NFS, CIFS, iSCSI].
- Strong knowledge of LAN/WAN/VPN administration.
- Strong knowledge in security applications such as SourceFire and Firewall configuration.
- Hands-on software and hardware troubleshooting experience.
- Experience with data management.
- Experience documenting and maintaining configuration and process information.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Strong Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws.
- Strong working knowledge of Citrix.
- Strong knowledge of Cisco UCS.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation and procedure manuals.
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Skilled at working within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to juggle day-to-day hardware, software & Help Desk requests alongside maintenance and strategic initiatives.
- This is a partial Telework (work from home) position and access to high speed internet and a home office space is required.
- Must live within 60 minutes of our Plymouth, MN office and the Eden Prairie, MN datacenter.
- Periodic travel to Des Moines and Chariton Iowa and occasional misc. travel.
- Periodic after-hours/overnight work as needed for maintenance/outage work.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.