Surgical Tech (CST)
Applies principles of asepsis in a knowledgeable manner that provides optimal patient centered care in the operating room. Provides systems to ensure quality care and improved patient outcomes utilizing sterilization techniques.
- Organize the sterile instruments, supplies and equipment for each surgical procedure as required according to the physician's preference. Conducts proper utilization of equipment.
- Provides a sterile field for surgical procedures.
- Assists in the maintenance of the sterile field by applying principles of aseptic techniques and informing the surgeon/surgical team of infractions.
- Applies aseptic and surgical techniques as described by AORN standards and facilities a physician's performance of invasive and diagnostic procedures.
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon, passing instruments and providing sterile items in an efficient manner.
- Performs counts of sponges, sharps and instruments according to procedure.
- Follows surgeon direction for retracting, cutting of suture and dressing application.
- Assists with OR cleaning and restocking.
- Follow AAMI/AORN recommended practices for decontamination/sterilization of instruments.
- Cleans, wraps and prepares instruments for sterilization.
- Scheduling of surgical cases.
- Graduate of accredited OR Technician program
- One year of Surgical Tech experience preferred
- Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association
- Current BLS or willingness to obtain within 6 months of hire, company paid.
- Demonstrated human relations and effective communication skills
- Demonstrated medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology knowledge preferred
- Start times may vary between 6:00am to 8:00am; typically working a 8 hour shift
- Rotating call schedule including rotating holiday call